Pregnant but cycling - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Feb 20, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm confuuuuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!

This is Harmony today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Here is Demi who is 13 weeks pregnant on Monday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a pic of them both together just for interest... :p

[​IMG]

The thing is - Demi is pregnant. Harmony - she has been faithfully coming into heat every 3 weeks without fail. . . however she has an udder! Demi doesnt!

I'm confused :help: is it possible that Harmony could be some weird alien freak of nature that is pregnant, or a precocious udder, or what?

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have heard they can cycle through pregnancy but I've never had a goat do it. If she is bred and pregnant, how far along would she be? I'm just wondering because of her udder development.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I dont know, dangit. :angry: *goes to find calendar*

ok she went to the buck around the 30th November... I think she went on the 10th or so of November too... Also around the 21st December.

The only time I was there with her was the 30th November breeding (I think) and she did get covered twice then... I dont know about the other times as we left her there and she was coming out of heat... although, she could've been coming out of heat on the 30th too...

:help:

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    wait it was 3 weeks before the 10th november too, I think, as we missed the 10th of november cycle. Although I'm not 100% sure. Dangit I just didnt write anything down because it didnt seem that anything happened!!! So I cant remember... :question:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that udder development doesnt look like a precocious udder to me. In my limited experience prococious udders have a tendency to fill in lopsided and the teats sweell a little more.

This would be about the time for you to see an udder if she was bred back in early to late November.

What does she do when in heat?

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    When she's in heat she gets wet on her tail... like in the picture, you can see goo caked on / around her butt, and she gets a bit red up on her vulva - you can see a bit of red in the picture, as she's kind of half in heat when that was taken... she doesnt really flag or anything, but then, she never has!

LW

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmmm.....so that would put her due dates anywhere from late march to early may, so if she's pregnant and going by the first or second date, then udder development like that is normal on a FF if she's pregnant. She's kind of got that hollow look in her belly that I see with a lot of my FFs, so I'm really not sure :shrug: :scratch:

If she doesn't flag, how did she react to the buck? Was she happy to see him? And did you try breeding her to the same buck every time she came back into heat?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to me her pooch tells me she is pregnant

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    she doesnt reeally like bucks. She showed moderate interest in him when I took her around the 30th November, and she stood for him only with me holding her tightly (and she tried to climb up me) but she did get served... the rest of the time she merely tried to fight him.

I didnt take her back after the time on around the 30th Dec because the woman's dog attacked me... and I got scared =] So that was definitely her last visit...

LW

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ok so... Demi is getting 2 handfuls of grain a day, Harmony isnt getting any - just hay and water. So... 2 handfuls a day for her now just in case ! ! !

LW

PS so she doesnt get grain atm so she shouldnt be massively fat!

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    had the same thing happen with sweet pea. I had to hold her while she was trying to run away!