The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a doe 7 weeks ago that was supposed to be unbred but it turns out that she is. We don't know how far along she is but she is getting close because her udder is getting big. She has eaten grain really well but the past few days her intake has dropped off greatly. I'm not sure about hay because she won't go near the hay trough until all goats have had their fill and gone away. I've rarely seen her eating hay so I don't know if that has slacked off. She has always been a loner but she is more so now, seperating from the herd and going off to nap. She's not big so I think she has one or two babies in there at most. I was juat wondering if I need to be concerned about ketosis or toxemia since her appetite has slacked off and she has become more lazy. I know those can be typical signs of a goat about to have a baby but I want to head it off if it is something more serious.

·
Registered
617 Posts
CAn you post pictures of her behind and udder,will help to tell how far along she maybe,any discharge or mucous yet?

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's dark so I can't get pictures tonight but there is no discharge, her back end is more relaxed than the other does and her udder has close to doubled in the last day and a half.

·
Registered
30,240 Posts
sounds like she is near to kidding...many goats keep to themselves..offer her molasses water a couple of times a day to keep her energy level up ..B complex will help with her appitite but if sheis with in a day or so of kidding..decrease appitite is normal..I would get a temp on her asap to be sure nothing else is going on....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts