Pregnant doe being funny?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nutmegfarm, Jan 25, 2010.

1. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have a first freshening lamancha doe who is a smaller frame doe, but she has a history (dams & granddams) who always get swollen joints, especially in legs, while pregnant (not arthritis or anything like that.) Its usually not a problem, because it goes down after kidding and is usually never really bad. But this doe, Swiss, is really bad. Her front feet are extremely swollen and weakened. She is up to date on Bo-Se, minerals, eveything you could think of. I just did her feet about a week ago, but she is still having a horrible time getting around, limping, and very sluggish. She still have about a month to go and it just keeps getting worse. I've had a vet out for a similar problem a while ago for one of her aunts, but he didn't do anything and it magically went away, but she is really having a hard time! She is healthy weight, so its not excess flesh, and shes always been large in capacity, so she really isn't carrying much baby weight. Any comments/suggestions?

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when is she due?

If this is hereditary I would suggest you dont breed her again.

I dotn know what you can do for the swelling though :S

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I have no suggestions other than make sure she's got some pain medication in her. Sounds very uncomfy, especially during pregnancy! :hug:

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    well thats just it, its her physically, just because when this line gets pregnant, they are PREGNANT!! I bred her to an extremely tall buck thats a little denser bone. Shes due mid-February. She has had good and bad days, I just feel bad because she's so uncomfortable. I don't really want to "mess" with her too much, because shes eating, drinking, bright-eyed, good temp, its just shes a pregg-o machine. I'm thinking it could also be stress related (the sluggishness), but I'm stumped for the feet thing. Its never been bad with her mom, because she just dropped a little, but shes actually swollen.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Pregnancy Toxemia comes to mind.... Lethargy ... loss of appetite... over one to two weeks, late pregnancy. Limping or swelling of feet. Laying around not wanting to get up. I would treat her for that....

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Well, I thought things like that too, but shes eating, and isn't lathargic, just slow when she moves, she is up and active (at least when the food bowl goes in :) ) I'm having the vet come by this weekend to re-examen and sonogram them again, hopefully she didn't abort late in the pregnancy :(

I appreciate the diagnosis toth boer goats, I lost a doe last year when she became toxic. She was completely fine, had a single buck, and wasn't large when prenant, I examined her, and felt no other kids, 2 days later, she was trying to expel a mummified kid. She passed away later so I'm a little gun shy about this one!

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Are you sure they dont have CAE? Goats can show no sign of CAE dor years and then some added weight (pregnancy) can make the joints swell and go back down. Are the joints fluid filled? warm to the touch? painful to the touch? If its something hereditary i would stop breeding the line. If the animals are continuing to pass down something like this, i dont know that i would want to keep dealing with it.

8. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Ditto this- have they ever been tested for CAE?

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I'm curious about the CAE too...

And I second Stacey's opinion...if this is hereditary (whether it's CAE or not), which you know from 3 generations, i would highly recommend not breeding anyone from the line. I mean...we breeders don't strive to add poor rumps or poor udders right? We work hard from generation to generations to improve conformation. Health should be in there too. It sounds like an awful trait to get if you're born in that line.

Let us know what the vet says!An antiinflammartory drug of some sort should provide some reliefe as it will help with the swelling.

10. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Good News! I went out this morning and the swelling is gone and she's walking fine!! My guess is that she was uncomfortable when the kids were getting "in position". What a relief. I am still having the vet out just for a final check-up but shes doing just fine now. Its not the line, because her dam got uncomfortable, but not swollen joints. I'm not CAE positive, so its not arthritis, although I will be retesting because I've heard people are getting funky results. Where do you all go through? Thank you for the answers!!

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

11. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    CAE testing

First of all, it's great she seems to be better today!

I get CAE testing done at Washing State (WADDL) because my vet (he has a big herd of dairy goats and is a long time goat expert, plus being a vet) says that is the lab with the most reliable results. He tests all his does every year and still does CAE prevention raising the kids. He says that you can have a doe test negative for years and then one year be positive.

I test every year, but my kids are dam raised.

This year I sent it in myself for the first time and it was easy and they are very responsive.

Jan in NM

12. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Oh yeah, CAE can pop up out of the blue, thats why its such a nerve racker :roll:
    thank you, I'll have to try it with them

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    biotracking.com is real cheep for CAE testing and they are reputable lab.

you will get positives popping up if they are borderline. The guy at WADDL said mine will never become CAE positive or suspect because the number are to low

so ask for the numbers and if the chance for CAE positive is there

the testing has become much more accurate over the years that goats suddenly poping up positive is becoming less and less.

14. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio