The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 9 days since Freya was born. I thought I would introduce her to the other doe, Star, ( who is pregnant)- under supervision, in the outside pen.

I let her and her mother in the outside pen where Star was grazing. Star sniffed Freya. I thought it would be okay. Star approached baby Freya again and butted her hard off the rock. We fashioned a horn guard for Star because she can get butt happy, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
How do I prevent her from harming the baby?
I can't keep them separated for ever. Freya's mother, Sunny, tried to protect her but she's no match for Star.
Freya is such an active little kid and she really wants out of the kidding stall.
Any advice?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stephanie, Unfortunately I'm not set up with separate pens. I only have two does and now one kid. In the future I will let them loose in the back fenced acre.
The strange thing is Star was the one being picked on by another doe who was a real stinker. I traded that doe for a more docile one. Only now it's Star who is being the bully to the docile one and her kid. Star is also due to kid any time now.
I'm wondering if I have to give the docile one ( Sunny) with the kid back to my son who also has a small herd, after Star has her kids. I don't want to , though. :(

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Man that's too bad...I know what you mean about the becoming bossy....now the doeling I was referring to before...is giving my new younger doeling a rough time :rolleyes: but not bad like the one that was picking on her before. I moved the other one because she was bordering on dangerous ramming...I think it's harder the more you take away, add....I can't wait for all mine to be adults...2 are adults,one is a yearling and one is 5 months...it's certainly an adjustment.
How bad is she acting? I mean there is always going to be a herdqueen but is she malicious about it?

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Goats are never thrilled with others kids. Just give the little one a place to get away so no big goats can get to them. I use Little Tikes picnic tables. The kids can hide under them and the adults can jump on top of them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Can you move Star to the kidding stall for part of every day or swapping them out every other day until the doeling gets bigger? That way she also gets accustomed to the smell of the baby as well as allowing the baby time out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ksalvagno - that's a great idea - something to hide under or in.
Axykatt, that's what I'm doing now. I really hope they all get along.
I am very happy we found a way to cover her horns. We measured the distance between her horns then added a couple of inches. Then we cut the same length from an old garden hose. We slipped each end on her horns and taped the ends on the horns.

Eventually they will be let out in the back. If I didn't mention it, Star is a pygmy.
Thank you everyone. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts