pregnant doe complications???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Boermom, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Boermom

Boermom New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hermon, Maine
    I have a doe who was bred in the field this past fall and has not kidded yet. My other does kidded this past weekend. She had a bloody discharge 3 weeks ago but it stopped after a few days. I had called the vet immediately and he told me to let her be as long as she was acting normal and not distressed. She is still acting fine but her udder seems to have gotten smaller though her teats are huge. What should I do? I am afraid for her and her kids. Anyone else every have something like this happen. She is two and a half years old and this is her first time. :?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well the bloody stuff is normal, she's cleaning out her system

the udder is probably from kids taking all the milk. just keep an eye to make sure theyre getting enough!
    :)

3. Boermom

Boermom New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hermon, Maine
    I'm sorry I was not quite clear. She has not kidded yet.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Do you know how far past her due date (day 150) she is?
    This could be a lot of things.... but 2 specific things come to mind either she aborted ( I take it you didn't see any fetuses?) or I had a friend whose doe had a single buckling that was so big at term it could not even get into the birth canal.... doe never went into labor so she figured the doe had been bred the next heat cycle (she pen bred) .... about 2 weeks later the doe started going down hill... very off and lethargic. She ended up needing a C section and they pulled out a Very dead 13 lb kid (this was a fainter.... they are normally between 5-8 lbs at birth! The doe made it but couldn't be bred again.

Or.... since you also pen breed... you may just be off on your due date? :) I had that happen to me a couple times this year.

Basically.... you know your doe.... if there is something wrong you will know by her actions. :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it sounds like she kidded. is she out on pasture or is she in a small enclosure? do you have a guard dog in there with them?

I ask this because if she kidded out in a field then you might not have seen the kids especially if they were premature and small

also a guard dog might have eaten the fetuses or hid them

6. Boermom

Boermom New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hermon, Maine
    I brought her into a pen and saw the kids moving inside her after that. No dog in with them. I will keep an eye on her.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok well maybe she has one dead kid so be aware that you may have that situation come kidding time.

But for her udder to shrink seems rather odd :chin:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sorry, didn't read correctly.

Udders usually change size, with hay. are the getting good quality hay?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is odd for her udder to shrink... unless she has.. what is called a false pregnancy.... :chin:
    Which side did you see the kids moving on?

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She could have had a cloudburst preganacy. All the signs, including udder development, but no babies. In a cloudburst all you would see is fluid. There also will be no milk.

11. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    She could have had a cloudburst or she could have aborted the babies :(. I would test her somatic cell counts for mastitis (if you can get any milk out of her), check her temperature too.

Is her udder hot or rock hard, or does it feel normal?

Did you see movement on her left side? That could just have been rumination, but if you saw movement on her right side then that very well could be babies. If you have the means it would not be a terrible idea to take her to the vet for an ultrasound. Then you can see if she has anybody in there or if she just has/had fluid in her uterus.

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have a feeling the she gave birth/miscarried around the time that you first noticed the bloody discharge. A bloody discharge is not something I would consider normal during pregnancy unless there is a problem or the doe is giving birth.

A racoon or opossum or other critter could have easliy carried away the remains from the birth...

I hope I am wrong and she delivers healthy babies...but it just does not sounds good...

13. Boermom

Boermom New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hermon, Maine
    Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the help. I will keep you all posted on the results.