Pregnant Doe Coughing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cjpup, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I have a pregnant doe due sometime before the end of May (dont have exact breeding date) that started coughing Saturday Night. I thought perhaps allergies so I waited a couple days. Tonight, she is still coughing and VERY VERY pale. No diarreha (can never spell that!!) but I thought lung worm right way. SO, I de-wormed her with Ivermec (they are all due for a worming but I didnt have enough Ivermec to do everyone. I will be getting more tomorrow). I will be giving her some iron tablets in a little bit to help with the pale-ness. Just wanted to cross check with all of you guys to see what you thought and if there is anything else you guys would recommend I do.

THANKS!

CJ

PS: This is a Pygmy Doe. I will be getting a temp when I go down to give iron.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I had lung worm go around, it took a few days for them to stop coughing. Preggo doe too.

3. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Oh I love it when ppl have experienced something I may be going through. DId your goats just like all of a sudden start coughing? She is also seperating herself a little and just acting "off". Did your do that? I am asking because I want to make sure I have the right diagnosis.

CJ

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Well I have some does who did act like they weren't feeling their best but not too "off" so I would also explore other things as well if my doe was acting off. I also have a doe who had pale eyelids and she coughed. Treated her for lung worms, didn't help. Turns out she has lice and allergies. And because of the lice her eyelids were pale and she was lathargic from being anemic. Does she have a runny nose at all? Does it sound as though she is tying to cough something up??

5. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    No runny nose. Does sound like she is trying to cough up something and seems to have mildly labored breathing.

6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Temp was 104.1

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    This morning, Debbie didnt seem to be coughing as much but her breathing is still a bit labored. I gave her another dose of Iron (2 27mg tablets). She went out with the herd too. That temp is still kind of bothering me tho. DO you guys think its necessary to dose with LA200? Can I give it to a pregnant doe (Due end of May)?

THANKS!

PS: will lung worm show up on a fecal??

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unfortunatly lung worms do not show up on a fecal.

Temp does seem a bit high. have you checked for rattling in the chest? she maybe getting pneumonia. Some LA 200 would be my vote if you hear a rattle

9. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    No rattle. Her lungs sound clear. She weezes a little when you try to hold on to her. I thing I will dose her with LA200 tonight if she isnt much better. What do you think? Will it hurt the baby??

She is still seperating herself though. I am going top attempt to get another temp but I am the only one home so.....wish me luck!!

10. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    She is staying COMPLETELY seperate fromt he herd. Please help!!!!!

EDIT: I was able to get her to sit still for 2 temps. The first was 103.9 and the second 104.1

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    If memory serves me right a high temp can hurt the kid. When I had a doe with a high temp and acting weird I gave them pen and thiamin, as well as nutri drench and Bovi Sera. Don't know if it did anything to help but she is better than ever and I really thought I would lose her.

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The only time I had a goat with a cough, she was young and we'd just got her home (NM to PA, in the back of hubby's SUV). She was very standoffish, I just thought she was stressed out, so I waited a few days before I called the vet who prescribed penn for 7 days. She recovered quickly and is such a lovey little girl...made me feel bad I waited so long to get her fixed up.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a new doe to my property that had the cough and was pregnant. YES you can see lung worm in a fecal. My vet did it and told me that is what he saw. It is a different test that they do, not the normal solution.
    I would call the vet if you have one and see what he thinks. If she is that close to delivering, I would NOT be pushing meds in her. You need to get to the root of her trouble, beings she is Pregnant.

14. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I agree, I dont want to put any meds in her that will jeopordize the baby. BUT, that temp scares me. I need to know if the LA200 is harmful to the baby. She looks to me to be about a month off, then again, she is a FF and could surprise me.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is she getting enough water? I would watch her ands see how she is as the night goes on and int the morning. The problem is if you do anything LA200 it needs to be given for 7-10 days, and if she is that close there is no since in stressing her out.

16. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I am about to go down again so I will let you know.

The original due date I had for her was February (16th I believe), OBVIOUSLY! She came into heat after that heat date but I didnt catch her in heat so I am not sure. She is very round and has a little udder as well as pooching a little. I will get you guys some pictures and maybe a video of her coughing so you can see exactly what Im talking about. I really think she will be the end of May (I have another doe due May 29).

CJ

17. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I think she may have a respiratory infection. I listened to her lungs and heard weezing. Not rattling like pnumonia. I dosed her with LA200, if I am right, she should be somewhat better by morning and I will continue the LA200 for 6 more days. If she is no better, I may hjave to rethink my diagnosis. I also gave her mor eiron. Her color is MUCH MUCH better but still not "normal".

CJ

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats good that you gave her the LA 200. I think you will see improvement but the coughing may still be around for a bit - just like when you get bronchitis (sp?) the cough lingers for a bit

19. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Thats what I figured. Im going to be maily looking for changed in her attitude and breathing. She still seems labored (which is characteristic of a respiratory infection).

20. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I thought I would give you guys a bit of an update:

The LA200 has seemed to help TRUMENDOUSLY!!!! I can no longer hear the wheezing in her chest and her attitude is much much better!! Her breathing is still a little bit labored buit then again, its only the 2nd day of of 7-10 with treatment. She is still very pale so I have been giving her 2 trablets of 27mg iron twice a day. I have also been giving her B-complex for her appetite and whatever the baby might need.

I was able to feel the baby moving last night. I picked up debbie (she is reall REALLY heavy!!! but I wasa still able to do it) and felt tiny little jabs into my stomach!!!! YEAH! :leap:

DO you think she is contagiouse? She has been on antibiotic for more than 24hrs. Also, this morning she has a teeny tiny little bit of green snot, is this just from the infection going away? or something more? Is there anything else you guys would suggest I do??

THANKS BUNCHES!
    CJ