Pregnant doe day 135 and got into the chicken coop...HELP!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by logansmommy7, Apr 24, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My doe on day 135 got into the chicken coop after my kids left it open. She has clearly had diarrhea (this has happened with my goats before and they were fine after a day) but she looks weak. I gave her nutridrench (just because I thought it might give her a boost) and probio paste...I would hate for her to kid this soon...she just doesn't look good. Would kids live if born this early? I'm thinking not...but we cleaned the stall out anyway. We are having a major front come through tonight and oh--I'm so worried! Anything else I should do?

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Re: Pregnant doe day 135 and got into the chicken coop...HEL

I'm too much of a newbie to be of any major help to you, but I know that some electrolytes wouldn't hurt. They make an orange powder that we've used before. You put it in her water. Couldn't hurt. I don't know what to tell you, though, about the way it'll affect her and her babies. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Tina

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

How long has it been since she got into the coop? Was it medicated feed?

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Does she look bloated...I know since she's pregnant it's probably hard to tell. I would definitely give her baking soda. I had a wether bloat after eating our chicken food. He was MISERABLE! Once I gave him the soda a few times he was much happier....then probios and nutridrench.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

No bloating...it was yesterday. Oh, and no it was not medicated. She is eating again since we gave her the Nutridrench...I'm hoping she is rebounding!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would put her on just hay, no grain.

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sounds good. She doesn't get much grain-hay has been available but they have so much grass right now they aren't much interested in the hay-but it is there!

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks for the responses. I am really hoping she rebounds. This is our first kidding (not hers-she had twins last year)...and she is such a beauty and the buck that she is bred to is gorgeous as well. I am really looking forward to some adorable little ones soon!