The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two pregnant does due in two weeks. I did a fecal and one doe has stronglyd count 2,250 egg/gram! The other has 600 egg/gram. I noticed someone’s poop was mushy last week and finally did fecal today. But both of their poop is very good looking today. I have Ivermectin pour on for cattle and cydectin. I heard a lot about safeguard and can get it at TSC. Please instruct me on dosage and timing. Thank you! (Worried Goat Mom, my first kidding)

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
How are their famacha? Over all condition?. If you want to buy some time for them to kid you can give Tumny Tamer with Garlic a few times daily. Then deworn them day they kid with appropriate dewormer.
Ivomec pour on is not effective. Cydectin cattle pour on is not great either.
Try cydectin sheep drench or valbazen, horse paste dewormers or injectable ivomec (which can be given orally as long as the goat is not anemic) any of these Are pregnant safe except the valbazen if you want to treat now.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
molasses
ACV
20-30 cc water...blend all with a clove of garlic until smooth and drench 1-2 times a day.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check Famacha in morning. I would rather wait to worm after birth but heard it would be stressful for them have a high worm load and try to give birth. And one of the does is a first timer. Just trying to do everything I can for a smooth delivery day.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
I get that. If you feel deworming is necessary then absolutely do it.

Also, when administering medicine for pregnant goats by weight, do I use their full pregnant weight formula the dosage?
That is a great question!
When dosing a pregnant goat I personally base dose by their before pregnancy weight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the great info. After speaking with some others, I gave them Red Cell and Alfalfa hay. I will look into making the tummy tamer as well. I started one application of Safeguard at 3x the label dose but have decided to only do that and wait. They seem to be acting really good so I decided to not push the wormer. I will do a fecal after kidding and see what’s going on then.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Good deal. The Tummy Tamer with garlic should help keep things under control until they kid..

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
We suggest deworming within 24 hours of kidding to stay ahead of a parasite bloom. It's almost the only time it's recommended without fecal or other indication. This time makes a doe very vulnerable, with the stress of kidding, milk coming in..there is a lot of demand on her all of a sudden..before I started herbal I used Valbazen as my post-kidding dewormer.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve heard of Valbazen. But I do have on hand Cydectin, ivermectin 1% injectable, Safeguard and quest horse wormer. Do any of those sound good to you? I’ve never had a problem with worms and don’t know which one to use. It’s definitely the stronglyd worm though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts