Pregnant Doe in distress

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laurelsh, Sep 26, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I have a problem with a pregnant doe, she is about 3-1/2 mo. pregnant and suddenly has pudding poop and is yelling constantly like something is very wrong. My 2 new does, in a separate pen, do have coccidia confirmed on fecal and just treated yesterday with Baycox (Toltrazuril). Since this is off label for goats, I can't find for sure that this drug is safe with a pregnant doe, so I'm holding off on giving it to her. Her temp is normal, and I gave some Pepto-Bismol type stuff for livestock. It will be days before I can get results on a fecal. She's never yelled like this before, it's very concerning.
    I put fresh minerals out and kelp meal 2 days ago, that is the only change in diet that I know of. I just gave her the antidote gel in case, rubbed her belly, maybe felt a kid, but she doesn't appear bloated. She is only calm if I am in the pen with her. I heard her guts gurgle. She's a bottlefed goat, about 1-3/4 years old, had kids in February with no problem. She's been very healthy and is not a yeller at all normally. I gave her some oak leaves and she nibbled, but appetite is definitely diminished and she's very distracted. She's up and around just fine.
    Update: She nibbled at some baking soda I put out, is a bit calmer now, 2 hours have passed, but still yells if I stay away. I gave her Fortified B complex gel.
    Update: 3 hours later, she is still yelling a lot but not as loud, when I'm not with her. Re: Banamine, Tennesee Meat Goats says: "soothes irritation in the gastro-intestinal tract (gut) when diarrhea or other gut-related digestive illnesses occur," So I gave her Banamine, and this has calmed her more.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

That must be so distressing. Is there any unusual discharge? Is she biting her sides at all? Is she uncomfortable when she lies down, battling to get up?

Moers kiko boars and laurelsh like this.

3. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    It is distressing! No discharge. No biting at her sides. She's not laying down, so I don't know about uncomfortable lying down. The Banamine seems to have provided her some relief (aside from my being there), but she's still calling and upset.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Is she alone in her stall? Maybe you should put her with a whether? Maybe a vets visit just to check the baboes are still viable?

5. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    She's alone in a pen. I don't have a wether. I could put another doe with her. My vet is mainly a horse vet, doesn't have a mobile ultrasound. ugh!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    it is always a good idea to get temp before giving meds, expecially Banamine which can lower her temp...so don't want to give if her temp is all ready low..just for next time, to keep in mind.
    With scours, we want to try to find out what the cause is. What color is the scours? Dark brown to black can mean parasites while dark green can mean dietary issues. Do you have CD antitoxin? Give probiotics and B complex to start and get her temp. What is her famacha?

GoofyGoat and goatblessings like this.
  7. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I took her temp this AM, 103.2, before I did anything. Scours is brown, not black, not green. I gave her B complex gel orally already. I have CD/T antitoxin in the fridge but expiration date is 4/2019. I don't know if it would still work or not? I can try to find some CD/T antitoxin locally, there's one place that might have it.

I'm not trained on famacha, and it was hard to get a look but I would say it's about a 3. I've sent off a fecal sample for testing, should get result by Wednesday, I hope.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would call around other places to a vet out, to check her.

9. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I am calling the only other goat vet in my county, and I don't believe they have a portable ultrasound either. but I will find out. Her famacha is about 3 at a quick guess. If they don't have one, then I'll call my regular vet, who lives down the street from me. He has no ultrasound whatsoever.

10. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I honestly don't know what can a vet do, given everything that I've already checked, if they don't have an ultrasound?

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Her temp is good. She may have worm load to deal with. You can give her tummy tamer for now while you wait for the fecal results. Ill post recipe below. You really need b complex injectable. Tsx carries it usually. Much is lost orally.

Cd antitoxin is not the same as CD&T toxoid...check your bottle to be sure what you have. A year expired is not bad if its been stored proper.

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Tummy tamer

1 teaspoon each. Cayenne pepper,ginger, Cinnamon, Slippery elm, axv,and, in 20-30 cc of water..mix and drench 1 to 2 times a day. You can blend a fresh garlic clove in that as well.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Monitor temp. Any discharge?

I’m guessing worms.

14. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you. I know what CD Antitoxin is vs CDT. I have Vit B+ injectable also. Thanks for the Tummy Tamer recipe. How many cc do you give at one time?

happybleats likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    . Great!! I always check since the names are so similar, many confuse the two.

On the tummy tamer ..give the whole thing at once. If its too much for her, you can give half then give the other half later. It will address the scours and help with worm load as well..

Best wishes

16. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Absolutely, a lot of people don't know the difference! Okay on Tummy Tamer. I'll get onto that.

happybleats likes this.
  17. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    On your recipe, axv, is that supposed to be acv for apple cider vinegar?

happybleats likes this.
  18. laurelsh

laurelsh Active Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    5 PM Calif time, I gave her Tummy Tamer, probiotics, Vit B+ shot. Her temp is normal at 103. Still has some scours, but also some clumps in it.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..sorry..acv (embarrassed)

Glad she is firming up

laurelsh likes this.