Pregnant doe not eating grain

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Dulcy, May 22, 2020.

1. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Hey everybody,
    You were such a huge help when our other doe was sick with pregnancy toxemia, and we have no goat vet closeby, so I'm here for more input. I'm probably really paranoid now after our other doe got sick. Our second doe was purchased at the same time from the same disreputable person (we didn't realize she was disreputable til later, unfortunately), and while she was healthier she was thin and copper deficient. Well, some copper bolus and tlc later she conditioned up and was bred in January. She's due, I think, in the next couple of weeks, but with no vet I'm going on my own observations about that.

She's been healthy, but two days ago she stopped vacuuming up corn and oats like they were candy. She nibbles at them now and that's all. She still eats hay and some fresh forage but she doesn't look full and round like she did. I wouldn't say she's lethargic, but maybe she isn't as active as she was. What on earth am I doing wrong? I feel like the worst newbie goat keeper and my poor goats are suffering for it!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She is full of kids so less room for food. Is she drinking water? Eating hay well? Have you tested her ketones?

toth boer goats, MadHouse and Dulcy like this.

3. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I was wondering if she just had limited room in there but it seemed sudden. I will get ketone strips soon. Is toxemia so common both of my goats could have it? A goat mentor led me to believe it was rare!

4. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Oh! And yes, she is drinking water and eating hay.

5. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Here she is: 20200522_144659.jpg

6. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Its not "rare" but its not always common. If that makes sense

Dulcy likes this.
  7. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I just feel like this goat doesn't fit the criteria: she was and remains at what I'd call bcs 2.5.

8. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    What is she getting for calcium?

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Until yesterday she was getting a few cups of alfalfa pellets twice daily (she now declines to eat those as well).

10. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Could you give her a tums?

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just go ahead and drench her with 30cc of Karo or Molasses twice a day until you get the ketone strips. It won't hurt her.

It would be very unusual to have two does with toxemia. I've had one case in 10 or so years with averaging ten bred does a year. It's not common.

Dulcy likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you can get really leafy alfalfa hay.
    I would feed the preggo's that.
    Especially late term.
    It is a richer alfalfa hay, you feed less of it than you would the normal alfalfa hay, so they can eat less and get better calcium.

The pellets don't seem to have as good as calcium in it as does the hay itself does IMO.

Dulcy likes this.
  13. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Ketone strips say "trace." What do you advise?

14. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Drench her with 30cc Karo or Molasses. Offer her a "buffet" all to herself. Leafy branches, pine boughs, a handful of cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, even a slice of bread. Really anything to keep her eating without completing ruining her digestive track.

Retest ketones in 12 hours and drench again.

toth boer goats and Dulcy like this.
  15. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Any theories as to why this has happened with these two does? I feel like I've been following all the mentorship advice I've been given. They eat grass hay, have access to minerals and salt (and I copper bolus every few months, give selenium oral gel monthly), get a few cups of alfalfa pellets and corn/oats twice daily, fresh water twice daily. My theory with doe one was that she was getting pushed away from the feed without me noticing till it had gone on for a little while. But doe two literally went from eating heartily to picking at food in a single day. Both were in rough shape with questionable history when I got them, but over a few months they spruced up pretty well. I am wondering if it's some mistake I'm making that is leading to this.

16. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I think it's just bad luck. I'm sorry, I know you're frustrated and have been working and learning hard. There are users here with does that have had toxemia and carry normal pregnancies for years after. This is likely just a fluke.

Dulcy and Ashlynn like this.
  17. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    You might want to think about putting out a protein tub for the pregnant does. We did that this year to make sure no one was lacking. They took to it well and it didn’t cause any problems. We used the Vitalyx tub since it doesn’t have urea added for protein.

Noahsoak and Dulcy like this.
  18. Dulcy

Dulcy Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! We've only had the goats for not quite a year, so having this happen as a newbie makes me question all my husbandry!

19. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Alfalfa hay I believe is higher in calcium and protein. Most of what I have read on here and in books indicates alfalfa is more ideal for pregnant does and grain or not is usually preferred during pregnancy especially in the last months. I know you said your feeding alfalfa pellets, and while I have seen that recommended and it might be helpful year around. I suspect they are not getting enough. Now I haven't actually had a pregnancy here persay (early miss carriage last year with only 1 bred). But my understanding and my todo list included switching to or increasing alfalfa hay after breeding and adding or increasing grain at 3 months bred/2 months till due. I haven't used alfalfa pellets myself yet. I might be way off, but definitely try adding alfalfa hay to their rations if she's eating hay but not pellets at least she will be getting some of what she needs from the hay.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Feed good alfalfa hay and the last month, I feed a sweet feed, which has molasses in it, just a little bit 1 x a day.

Dulcy likes this.