The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a doe who is 2 1/2 months pregnant (due around Christmas) and not acting right. This will be her second kidding. She is already showing on her right side. For the past 2 days she is not eating grain which is very unusual for her. As far as hay goes she is just nibbling at it and not really eating it. I went up behind her (she is a shy doe that doesn’t like to be bothered) and she went up to the food but just sat with her head in the bowl. Gonna take her temp in a minute. What should my course of action be? So far I’m thinking of giving her probiotics and maybe some vitamin b complex gel. My first thought was ketosis but I thought that only happened in late pregnancy. Ordering ketosis test strips just in case to have. Does it matter what test strips I get? I was going to get the ones from target but if they don’t work I might get the ones from caprine supply.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A temp would help.
Currently trying to catch her to get a temp. She does not want to be caught which I guess is kinda good meaning she is not weak.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temperature was 103.9*F

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
How is her poop? Is it normal? Thats not a bad temp. How is her famacha?
If all is normal I would give her flat dark beer, to help her rumen. Room temperature, no foam, and drench her at least 1/2 of the can of beer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is her poop? Is it normal? Thats not a bad temp. How is her famacha?
If all is normal I would give her flat dark beer, to help her rumen. Room temperature, no foam, and drench her at least 1/2 of the can of beer.
Poop was normal yesterday, but I haven’t seen her poop today (I was only outside for about an hour today). I’ll keep checking. Famancha was a 2.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
No..the beer wont hurt them at all. It will help her rumen. It helps her to relax, cleans her kidneys,and relieves pressure in her rumen.
What breed of doe? Whats size is she?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No..the beer wont hurt them at all. It will help her rumen. It helps her to relax, cleans her kidneys,and relieves pressure in her rumen.
What breed of doe? Whats size is she?
She is a Nigerian Dwarf, almost 3 years old, average size for Nigerian. This is a pic of her from about a month ago. She is showing much more now then she was then but for size reference. I can get recent pics of her tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: K.B.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Yes, the ketostrips from target or any pharmacy are fine just so you know. Read them quickly (within 30 seconds) because the longer the urine sits on the strip the more likely you’ll get a false positive reading.

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
I would monitor her temp.
It may be elevated from chasing her, then taking it right away.

Give probiotics and fortified vit b complex SQ 6 cc’s per 100 lbs daily for 3 days minimum. More if you wish.

See if she feels better in a day or two. No grain while she feels ill.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She looks like she’s feeling better. Going to try to get another temp, give her some stuff, and test her for ketosis (I don’t think she has it but I want to try the strips for fun). She looks so big to me for only being 2 1/2 months. My girls usually don’t start showing until 3 1/2 months. She had triplets as a FF hoping not any more than 3 in there. Maybe she’s just chubby.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts