Pregnant doe stuck on her back

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cyanne, Jul 4, 2010.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I tried to do a search to see if anyone else had had this happen before but just could not find the right terms to get a good search result...

I came home this evening to find my pregnant doe, Chickadee, laying flat on her back in the pasture. She was flailing her legs all around trying to get up and bellowing like crazy, but just could not flip herself over because her belly is too big. My LGD, Bear, was laying right by her head, I guess he was trying to offer some comfort or maybe protecting her while she was vulnerable. The rest of the herd was hiding at the back corner of the pasture and they all came running when they saw me, screaming their heads off.

I got her flipped back upright and she just stood up and seemed okay. She does not seem to be in any pain and is not acting weird. She pooped as soon as she stood up, normal pellets.

Is there anything I should watch for over the next day or so? Could she have twisted her gut or harmed the babies? How would I be able to tell?

Also, has anybody come up with any solutions on how to prevent pregnant does from getting flipped over like this? She is REALLY wide right now and is at least a month, more likely almost 2 months, away from kidding. I am worried this will happen again when I am not home to rescue her.

Oh, and when I went out to check on her after dark, I found that my bottle buckling had his head caught in a fence panel AGAIN. This is the second time he has stuffed his fat little head through the 4 inch holes in the utility panel that is the wall for his pen and then couldn't pull it back out. I thought I was going to have to cut him out this time but finally managed to pop him loose.

*sigh* these goats are just TRYING to give me gray hair!

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I had a Mini Oberhasli doe do that once-she was pregnant with twins and really wide in the belly. Scared me to death-although for a short second it almost looked funny. But it can be a bad thing if they are on their back very long. She only did it once-but i'd just peak in on her once and awhile to make sure she's upright still. As for the buckling-my folks have had one of their Saanen bucks get his head stuck in the fence this year constantly-he's never done it in years past-but all we can figure is that he thinks the grass is better tasting on the other side of the fence. Needless to say there are lots of holes in the fence now.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Watch her, I've had my girls do the same, it's like they lay down and decide to roll onto their side and end up flipping over, with a full belly as well as kids in there, theres not enough room for the gut to flip and twist but I'd still watch her the next few days to be sure she's eating and pooping normally. As far as your buckling...does he have horns? If he does, try taping a length of a stick across them, it will prevent him from getting his head through...or you can use chicken wire on the panels til he's bigger.
    My pygmy buck was able to get his head thru the panels, and not be able to back out due to the way his horns widened out at the tips...had to cut him out twice, after that I don't use cattle panels but went and bought goat panels with 2x2 squares.

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've known of goats dying from getting cast upside down. Sounds like you caught her earlier enough and I'm sure she will be fine. Sure scares you though!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree to watch her ...... it does happen in the most weirdest spots...so it's so hard to prevent..... but thank God... you caught it in time.... it is scary for sure :hug:

For getting caught in the fence ...I take a small PVC pipe and duct tape it.. to the horns...I call it a dunce hat... :wink: :thumb:

6. Looks like you have some good info here. Glad your doe is ok.

As for you buck, the taping thing will work. You can also got to Tractor Supply and get a spool of the plastic coated mesh that is about three feet tall. I get this for about 50-60.00 and put it where the pannel is with some zip ties. Trim the zipps and it will do you wonders. It has worked for us for about two years now where the panels are not the cain link.

Hope that helps.

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

He does not have horns so the duct tape/pipe solution won't work. He's about 10 wks old now and has small scurs and a very wedge-shaped head. I think it is the scurs that are causing the problem with pulling his head back out as they stick up and curve backward. I am about to trim those off and maybe hit them with the disbudding iron again to see if I can stop them from re-growing.

I may end up having to line the inside of the pen with mesh or chicken wire if he keeps doing it...I really hope I don't have too, though as I HATE going inside of that part of their pen. It is one of the 8ft by 8ft sections of my kidding shed and it has a goat door on the side that leads out to the boy's little pasture area.

The ceiling is 5ft at the front and 4 feet at the back so I have to bend over to go in. Not a big deal when it was built, but now that summer is here it has become spider-land in there. Huge, gross spiders with webs all over the ceiling and walls. It freaks me out to go in there because I always bump my head on the ceiling and get the webs all in my hair and I just know one is going to jump right on me! Eww!

There are like 3 or 4 kinds out there, some are the big, colorful garden spiders which look horrible but I have read they are not poisonous. Some are these crab-like ones with really fat bodies that spin huge webs at night and then take them down every morning. And some are these BIG fuzzy gray/brown ones that make funnel-shaped webs up in the ceilings...those freak me out the most because, if you put your face close to the opening of the web and look in, they will run AT you instead of sitting still or moving away. Gives me the heebee jeebees!

Anyway, I try to avoid going in there unless I have to clean or whatever...the idea of crawling around for the amount of time it would take to put mesh up on all the walls just makes me shudder. But, if it has to be done, I guess I will just have to do it.

I bought some spider spray recently and have been trying to decide the best way to treat the whole building without poisoning any of my goats....

8. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Oh, also, Chickadee seems to be doing fine since her little adventure. She is eating, drinking, and pooping and doesn't seem to have any obvious issues so I think she is going to be okay.

Now if we can just convince her not to try doing an impression of a distressed turtle again, I think we'll all be okay.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For the bugs, you can use sevin dust and it won't hurt the goats...as far as keeping your hornless boy in, put the mesh on the outside of the panels, then you won't need to go into the pen.

10. Synergize is also good for bugs and a little goes a very long way. One jug will last you a year or two depending on your number of goats maybe more.

11. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Here is a pic of the building so maybe my description will make more sense!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 1714312038

The place where his head gets stuck is the heavy-gauge wire utility panel that divides each section. There is no way to cover it without going all the way inside. Also, the hay feeder for the boys is in there, it is a short section of utility panel, attached at an angle to the wall of the pen next to theirs. It makes a 'V' shape that I put their hay into and they stick their noses in from the other side to eat. Oddly enough, he never gets his silly head stuck through the hay feeder area or on the front, he just randomly sticks it through in other spots on the center divider.

I will have to get creative with the placement of the mesh so that they can reach the hay but he can't stick his head through anywhere else...

12. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I know spiders are good and all, but when i have to do things like that (crawl in where there are spiders) I use the shop vac first and get webs,spiders, everything sucked up. (and then i wear a hat)

If you care, you can always let the survivors out of the shop vac somewhere far far away.

13. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Hehe, that's funny that you said that because I had thought of using the shop vac to clean out all of the spiders in there...then I thought, wait, then what do I do with them? Won't they crawl back out the pipe? And how do I get them out afterwards? THEN I thought, well, the shop vac does have a 'reverse' setting so I guess I could just blow them back out somewhere. Which gave me a mental image of me holding the vacuum hose while a stream of agitated spiders spewed out everywhere...EEEEK!!! :ROFL:

I know, I know, it is a silly phobia and they are pretty much harmless, but logic has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    :ROFL: :ROFL:

The whole time I was reading about the spiders, I was thinking...suck them up with a vacuum.

Then you gave a visual of spewing spiders in the woods!

:slapfloor:

I've seen Cy's kidding stalls...beautiful! Wish I had some like that!

15. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

Your post should come with a warning to set the coffee down before reading. Thank you for the laugh of the day :laugh:

Oh and don't apologize for your phobias. I have a fear of rats - we had them move into our farmhouse one year when i was about 12 - i remember them running across the drop ceiling and seeing the ceiling panels bouncing. since then i freak out about them. A few weeks ago we had a sudden windstorm and i went up to the second floor coop to shut the window, and saw 6 giant rats run across the floor and through a tiny crack in the wall. I didn't even know they could reach the second floor and hadn't seen any evidence they were living in the barn anyway. The next day, around 5 pm, i saw a rat EATING OUT OF THE GOATS DISH while the goats were laying a foot away. That was the last straw! I flipped out and have been trapping them ever since. I caught about 7 giant females in the live trap (although they didn't live long after that) and bunches of little ones in the snap traps. But all the ones that are left are too smart and keep setting off the traps with dirt kicked up on them and then they eat the bait. So i finally gave in today and put out some poison nailed to boards and covered with crates so nothing else will get them. I hate to do it, but I cannot bear rats crawling around near my chickens and baby goats to be. My stupid barn cat would rather catch voles in the field and lay around in the sun. In fact i had a rat trapped in some wire - for some reason it wouldn't back up and its legs were on either side of the grid, so it couldn't go forward - i grabbed the cat and put him near it - he sat down and watched it while the rat screamed at him - i finally had to kill it with a shovel.

I don't mind spiders, the garden ones are really pretty, but i WILL NOT crawl in an area full of webs without cleaning first and putting on a hat.

16. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: I know a few people I'd like to hunker down behind a bush and hit the reverse on the vac with. :laugh:

Gina

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California