Pregnant Doe very uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ArborGoats, Feb 1, 2017.

1. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I have a doe that has been having mild contractions for 12 hours, no discharge and no major contractions but she is very uncomfortable. Groans with every breath, increased respiration, etc. Can I give banamine or will it effect the birthing process? She is on day 145 today. Thank you!

2. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    If it were me, I'd try some red raspberry leaves if you have some or can get some.

3. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Sounds like she may not be dilating? Hopefully someone chims in soon. Id probably call a vet and ask them what they think.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do not give banamine. That has anti-abortive properties and could stop labor.

5. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
  6. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    I called my vet because he had said to give it an hr before ksalvagno had told me not to give it. He wasn't aware of those side effects, but now I'm very concerned! I got a sterile sleeve and sterile lube and did a vaginally exam went up to my wrist and couldn't feel any kids. Would I have hit cervix by then? Temp is 102 (this is hrs after banamine). She is not grinding her teeth any more and it's the first time she has breethedone normally in a week. My vet says to watch her. Any ideas? I'm totally at a loss. This does was textbook last time she kidded, took no time at all from first signs of discomfort til she popped out 2 kids shortly later.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If she was truly in labor, the banamine probably won't stop it but there is that slight chance. You should have felt the cervix going in up to your wrist. Did you feel a wall? It sounds like she may not be in labor yet but if you are concerned then I would have the vet examine her.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    There are times which a head may be back stopping normal presentation and the urge to really push.
    If you can get in there all the way to your elbow, you can feel for kids and try to get them up to the door. That is if she is fully dilated and really open. If she is not all the way dilated, she may not be quit ready yet. It is a tough call, but if she is all the way open and easy to get your whole arm in there, I would go fishing. Use your best judgment.
    But if nothing else, have a vet look at her. They cannot tell you anything over the phone with no hands on, when it comes to kidding when telling you to just watch her.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    She acts to totally fine other than the groaning ans slow waddle. Could feel what I would assume is the cervix, no discharge other than little bits of white like all the other does. Eating and drinking great. temperature was 101.9. As active as she has been with huge belly. She walks around the 3/4 acre field and takes normal naps in the sun. Greets me halfway to the gate, stays with the herd. She is definitely nursing herself so her udder is useless to me as far as predicting how close she is. I'm at a loss. It is day 147 today. She went on 155 the only other time she has kidded. I worked last time so not sure how she acted for most of the hours a day then.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try taping her teats. Use paper tape (it's in the bandaid area at Walmart).

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When you insert a finger, if you immediately hit a wall, she is closed and not ready.
    When your finger goes straight through an opening with nothing stopping it, she is open.

She sounds OK otherwise, but it seems strange if she is open, that doesn't happen, if they are not in the beginnings of labor.

13. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    When my fiance gets home I will try again. So far she has eaten the tape I tried...

14. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    This image matches pretty much what a felt my fingers felt exactly, so thinking more time is needed.

Attached Files:

15. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    She is currently cuddling with her daughter...

Attached Files:

16. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    Awwe :) She's so pretty :)

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Is she self nursing, or is the daughter nursing on her?

19. Luckthebuck234

Luckthebuck234 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Texas
    Anything yet?
    That is very cute :)

20. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    I assumed it was the daughter nursing, but when I seperated her and staged for 17 hours straight I caught her sitting like a dog with her head between her front legs drinking. No babies yet. I'm gonna go in again shortly to make sure she is dilated yet. She was more withdrawn from herd yesterday and didn't eat as much hay as normal. Atested little grain like a piggy though