Pregnant doe worries

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Greenupgoatman, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I have a doe that should be kidding anytime. My concern is this: her udder got large as I thought it should, then her teats swelled up really big and tight so I thought "this is it! She should kid any minute now!" Lol. Well it's been a couple days and she hasn't but her teats have gone down in size. One is still pretty big but one has gone down significantly. Has anyone else ever seen this happen? Is it normal or concerning? She doesn't act like she's in any distress or discomfort. Thanks

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I another goat nursing off her or is she self nursing? sometimes that will happen when they get really full close to kidding......

3. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    She's by herself in a stall but idk if she's doing it herself. I did t know they'd do that. I check on her often but haven't seen her doing it.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would just check to make sure her udder isn't hot or lumpy, beyond that, others here may be able to chime in! Good luck with kidding - they love to worry us!:)

5. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Thanks. Yeah this is my first goat baby so I've been nervous

6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Yeah...Is she a Nigerian? Whenever my Nigey doe gets "too" full she sneaks a suck. You want her to have colostrum for the baby. So you can try covering the end of each teat with bandaging tape. You'll probably have to reapply it a couple of times a day...

7. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    No she's a larger dairy breed mix.

8. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    My guess is either she is self nursing or its leaking.

9. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I've made her a collar out of cardboard. It's loose so she can move but I don't think she'll be able to turn all the way around to sucks herself

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Let us know how it goes :)

11. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Will do. I appreciate everyone's info. I never even knew they'd do that.

12. Greenupgoatman

Greenupgoatman Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Well idk what was going on but this morning she had 2 babies and all seem healthy and happy. Thanks for everyone's input. I never did actually catch her self nursing I even installed a camera I could watch from my phone.

13. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    So cute, Congrats