Pregnant Doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Apr 14, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I have a doe that was supposedly mated with the buck on Dec 6, 2008. I expect that she is pregnant, but she ate alot of hay while being with the buck for 3 weeks until he finally took interest. I can only listen the farmer that says the conception was 12-6-08.

My question is, what's next?

I have an area to keep her at night, but have not used it yet. It's a 4x8 foot area that she will see the other goats if they are in the shed/barn. It's intended to be used for the first few days with the kid/kids. By the way, we are in SE Michigan, so it's still a bit cold. The mother is 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Alpine. I think that the buck was close to 100% Boer. I will check!

When should I start penning her at night? I think that 140 days is around 4-25-09. It looks like her teats may be a little pointed, but no udder has dropped. I feel her sides, and underbody and no babies kicking back.

I hope that she is pregnant. Any advice? This is the first time for us and the goat to have a "goat kid".

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciate.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well that close to her due date- there should be an udder devloping- even if its just a small handful, something...
    You will know soon enough though-

I move mine to the "maternity ward" when they hit day 140- they all have individual stalls that go in and out- and then during the day I open those gates to a larger pen outside where all the moms and babies hang out.
    Its easier to keep an eye on them that way- and if they did kid unexpectedly, they would already be with the moms and babies and not the whole herd.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Being a FF she may drop and fill that udder the week she is due, I would start penning her at night when she hits 140, just to get her accustomed to the stall.....and she could go as long as 155 days. I hope she is preggy.....any way you can post a pic of her backside, focusing on the area under her tail? It would be at this point a very good indicator if she is in fact pregnant.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, that would totally stink if you found out she wasn't preggers this late in the season...

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    You may have seen a lot of us post picture of our doe's "pooch" or rear end. There are some people, such as Stacy, who are great with look at those pic and telling if your doe is bred or not. Why not take a pic and let some of the experts here tell you if she looks prego or not. :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My doe is due 3 days before yours :)

a pooch pic will help.

At 140 days she should be showing some signs - but until then you have time to gather supplies - check the kiddin koral for a list of supplies to have on hand. I use ths time before kidding watch to use my nervous energy towards getting kidding box ready