The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ND doeling that was accidentally bred 10/31/19, she was 6 months old then. Her weight is 40lbs I have been feeding her free choice Timothy hay and about a cup or so of pellet, oats, boss,and goat balancer every day. I just started feeding alfalfa pellets in the morning and she gets grain in the evening what else should I be doing nutrition wise?

·
8,163 Posts
Does she have free choice loose minerals? (They tend to drink more water with minerals). You might want to split the grain and alfalfa pellets and feed both morning and night (if you can). Will help keep a constant supply of nutrients in her body.
But, some people can only feed once a day, the goat will adapt.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Don't feed too much grain, her kids will grow too, especially in the last trimester.

Hopefully the buck was a small breed.
If not, you may have to have a vet on stand by.

She needs alfalfa now, the hay is the best, so she does not get preg toxemia.

Be there for her when she kids.

Loose salt and minerals.

The last month before kidding, give CD&T.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
The amounts you are feeding sound good to me. Is she a healthy weight? Not too boney when you feel hips and ribs under the winter fur?

Be sure to get selenium supplementation into her right away if you haven't already. Bo-Se, MultiMin, Replamin, or Selenium/E paste.

Increase her alfalfa & grainy portions slowly a few weeks before kidding to get her ready for the larger rations she will need during lactation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts