The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Nigerian does, both due the end of February. For those who feed only hay but grain toward the end of the pregnancy, when is that? The last month or 2? We had a pig who had complications during delivery possibly due to overfeeding, and I don't want to make the same mistake with my girls. So what do you do as far as when to add feed and how much?

Thanks - I know not everyone feeds hay only, but ours do well on it when not in milk, and this is our first pregnancy/delivery, so just kind of wondering.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Been meaning to ask this: So, my doelings were all bred at 8 1/2 to 9 months old, and I had been wondering when you would cut the grain... I mean, you already answered that, but I was kind of wondering if they wouldn't need it the whole time, since they'll still be growing themselves??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooohhh - good thought - I hadn't thought of this. Our doelings will be bred in spring, provided they will be big enough, but they will be just under and just over 1 year.

Ours aren't getting grain right now, though, and haven't at all (we let the mommies wean, and both doelings were pretty good size when they were weaned and doing well on hay.) But that makes sense, and I will definitely grain them the whole time. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Been meaning to ask this: So, my doelings were all bred at 8 1/2 to 9 months old, and I had been wondering when you would cut the grain... I mean, you already answered that, but I was kind of wondering if they wouldn't need it the whole time, since they'll still be growing themselves??
I'd still grain the first three months since they are still young and growing. But if they are closer to adult size, you can grain the first 2 months. The unborn kids do most of their growing the 4th and 5th month, which is why I don't grain then.

·
Administrator
85,671 Posts
That is why I like to wait til the goat youngsters are 1 to 1 1/2 years old, feeding too much grain early on can cause many issues.
You don't want them fat early on in pregnancy. You can feed a little bit but be careful.

I only grain,the last month of pregnancy, it is wet cob(cob with molasses) to fight milk fever. Works well for my girls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts