PREGNANT FAINTERS

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KFOWLER, Oct 25, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Went out to feed my three, skinny but pregnant fainters, and the girls seemed a little better this morning...after worming,alfalfa pellets and black oil seeds!!! Gave them some yogurt this morning to help their stomachs...they lapped it right up!!! Hopefully I can get them fattened up a little before the kidding starts!!!! Getting some alfalfa hay today to give them also. :pray:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Very good.... hopefully they can put on some weight before kidding. :) Have they had their CD&T shots yet?

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    The previous owner said he had...but based on the conditions they lived in...I'm not sure. I have had them since May 31st. Would it be safe to give them the shots again?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Definately, they would be fine for the vaccination.

Have you given them and selenium/vit E? I would suggest that also.

Another suggestion, grain them a bit - morning and night, even is just a livestock grain. If they are skinny, it is going to be hard to get weight on while preggo as now they are trying to work for two or more, not just themselves.

5. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    They do get grain and have access to hay...I went and got Alfalfa for them last nite because I didn't think they were eating the hay I had. I also got some pellets called goat balancer...the bag says its good for pregnant and lactating goats and to help add weight. Gonna mix it in with the grain. Right now they have loose stools so I'm holding back on the grain for a day or so...just wormed them over the weekend so that is probably the cause. Trying all I know...but I also realize that introducing new foods to them can upset their ruminant system.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you are the right track :). How far along are the goats in gestation?

Also, you can give pepto for their stools if you would like.

7. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    They could kid any day now. The neighbors buck got in my pen around the first week in June (don't remember the exact date). I saw him mount one of them because she fainted when he did...I first noticed the udders filling out on 8/31.