Pregnant goat isn't producing milk

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Makayla3, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Makayla3

Makayla3 New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    winter garden
    I have a Lamancha/Nigerian doe that is between 4-5 years old. She is currently 3 months pregnant with her 4th set of babies, but is not producing any milk. I have not taken milk from her in a week but her udder is still empty. I have witnessed her last 3 pregnancies and she has never done this before. She is physically healthy and has been acting completely normal. I am not sure if I need to retire her after this or if there is a way to make her body produce again.

If you guys have any ideas can you please help me out.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    So she’s been in lactation throughout pregnancy from her last kidding?

3. Makayla3

Makayla3 New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    winter garden
    Yes, but this time she has just stopped even though she is 3 months pregnant

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If she is 3 months pregnant, give her body a rest. It takes a lot out of them to go through a healthy pregnancy and produce milk. Make sure she has great minerals and nutrition and that her fecal is clear. I like to dry some of mine up prior to breeding if I'm not needing them for show or milk test. I wouldn't think you would need to retire her at this age, she may just need some recuperation time.

5. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I dry up my does before breeding so they don't lactate while pregnant because it takes way to much out of them to do both. I have however had a lactating doe while she was pregnant and she dried up naturally at 2 1/2 month bred back. Her body might just need the extra for the babies right now, Do you know how many she is pregnant with vs how many she had in the past?

Abigail Fin likes this.
  6. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    She has probably dried herself up. Give momma a break until she kids. When we had dairy cows ,they freshened and were then bred around 60 post calving. And were dried up 3 months prior to calving the next time.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    They need at least 2 to 3 months off. Some does dry off naturally. Their udder is nothing, then as pregnancy progresses, they start filling out again. Others wait until right before kidding or the oddball who wait until after kidding!

Sfgwife likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California