Pregnant goat pooping normally, but has some residual stringy mucus.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Erin Guy, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    I was away this weekend , and my dad was taking care of my goats, including my pregnant one. I suspect he was feeding them corn instead of the feed I usually give them. I am sure that is the cause of her stringy rectal discharge, but would their be any other causes? She is eating and drinking, so I'm not to worried.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Also can be shed intestinal lining.

3. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    If that is whats going on, how would i treat that? And it actually got better, I took a pic of her going #2, and there was no more stringy stuff.

Attached Files:

4. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Before I would jumped to any conclusions ! I would talk with your dad and be sure what he actually did feed your goats and pregnant doe ? I am not so sure that corn would cause that kind of issue unless he gave them an extra large amount. Changing feed usually causes some change in the stool/poop but it is usually more of a cow patty style of interference than stringy stuff. So check with him. But glad she is eating and seems to be back to normal.

5. ksalvagno

There is nothing to do. Especially since it is gone.

6. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD

Thank you! Yeah, I'm a worry wart about my animals. She did have some dry smeared cow patty like poop on one of her haunches. I will go out and make sure she is still doing well. I haven't fed them corn in a while, I do remember it can upset their stomach a little bit. Thank you I'm glad shes eating too.

7. Erin Guy

Erin Guy Active Member

Dec 21, 2019
    North East, MD
    Sorry, just thought i'd ask. Thank you though.

8. ksalvagno

Nothing to be sorry about. If you don't know, it is good to ask.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California