The Goat Spot Forum banner

pregnant goat question

7K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  goathiker 
#1 ·
my yearling nanny is a first time soon to be mom . we didn't plan on her dropping any babies with winter on us but our buck had different plans:mad: I do not know when she was breed only that she is close . my first question is her udder is small but it feels warmer(I have been checking daily) then normal is this her milk supply starting to come in or should I be giving her something:confused:? and she has had a yellow tinged discharge stuck to her lady parts since 10/23 nothing long or goopy is this normal ?her back side is looking sloppy as are her lady parts and it looks like she maybe starting to dilate some and she hates when I touch her belly is that normal.please any advice:confused:

#2 ·
I'm sure that whatever I tell you is going to be wrong LOL I have never felt my pg does udders so no clue if that means anything or not. Size doesn't seem to matter a whole lot...some just have smaller udders and we had one give birth that didn't even have an udder...no clue how she managed to feed her baby, but she did! When her bag starts looking stretched and full and kinda shiny, she's getting closer (if she bags up pre-birth) As I found out....you can have yellow, goopy discharge for a month before birth! No clue on the sloppy looking back, etc. In my personal experience, she will kid when she is ready. Not much help, huh? I've spent a month doing 4 hour checks day and night only to give up and have them kid a couple days later. The big sign for me is when they start getting restless...don't want to lay down, but don't want to keep standing. Looking at their belly and "talking" more (sometimes that's pretty hard to judge if you have one that's a talker). They may start pawing at the ground during their restless period. Probably didn't help you much, but I don't see any reason to worry yet from what you posted. Good luck and hopefully she'll go soon and you won't have to worry about it any more

#4 ·
here is her backside pic .. by sloppy I mean her ligaments are starting to droop she doesn't look like she used to and she waddles every where I thought that only happened to us :) her belly has dropped and she has been distancing herself from the herd a bit . she did take a really hard hit to her preggo side by a full size boer nanny afew days ago so I was worried she may lose this pregnancy .this is my first pregnant goat so I am 100% nervous

Attachments

#6 ·
Sloppy in the rear is normal. Some girls just don't like being felt up anywhere.
When her udder gets full & shiny that's a good give away. Amber goo is also a sure sign, as is pawing getting up pawing & nesting again.
Mine aren't pre kidding talkers. So when one started talking all of a sudden to her babies I brought her in; voila!
The pic shows no immediate but that could change any time.

#7 ·
She doesn't look all that close. That too discharge can go on for months. From what I can see she doesn't have much of a bag. Ff seem to make you think they are ready to kid any day for about a month lol. Do you know how to check ligs?? Its hard for me for my fat Boers but give it a try and see if you can feel them. No matter what I say I would still check her morning and night for any signs she is in labor. What I notice in my goats is a total attitude change if they just don't act like they normally do but no signs of sickness I know kids are coming.

#8 ·
This probably sound crazy but when I wasn't sure how much longer mine had I took her to me vet and he say she only had 3 weeks to go, I put a baby monitor in the goat house with her and kept it on very loud in my room. Just a little added note, my was just 10 months old when she had her baby.

#9 ·
her ligaments are getting softer - she is going off by herself which is unusual for her . she still has that small discharge - she has a runny nose and cough is there anything I can give her for that or just let it run its course? I did sneak in the barn last night while she was sleeping and slipped my hand under her baby bulge and felt movement so im reassured that the blow to her belly didn't kill her baby (she got hit by a jealous nanny who cant seem to get pregnant)her udder is just not getting bigger yet here's a pic of her nips they have gotten longer and softer . this morning she actually made a weird noise when she seen me usually she is not a talker- I think she is getting closer but I don't think it will be today .

Attachments

#10 ·
Her udder may not get bigger. Or it may suddenly fill...or take a couple days after kidding to actually get there. Meat goats don't tend to get a huge udder, dairy are suppose to, but doesn't mean they will. I've said before that I had a pure Nubian that never did get a bag but was able to feed her kid. Just keep an eye on her. Sounds like she may be getting closer since she wants to be by herself. But like someone else said...first freshners can make you think they are ready to kid anytime for a month!

#12 ·
im so excited ...she got really really vocal -so I ran out side and her discharge turned white and she wants me with her so I got my kit ready - nails trimmed just in case I got to go inside (which scares the crap out of me) but I got small hands so it shouldn't hurt her ..she is nipping at her sides now - and she keeps standing by the fence where she can see me when I come out side ..fingers crossed everything goes good

#14 ·
Update* she has more discharge it has a pink tinge to it - not a whole lot - she doesn't want her buddies around her- my buck got excited and I had to play defense-got tired so I tied him up to give her peace.. men :rolleyes: I have not seen any contractions but there was a lot of baby movement going in her belly she doesn't look pregnant any more im thinking it might be tonight or tomorrow - trick or treat babies :D

#15 ·
ok we are at a standstill :confused: her discharge slowed to a stop I did notice that when she sneezed she passed more white goop but that's it.. idk :chin:.I have not seen her pass her mucus plug -do u think maybe that is what we r leading up to? her lady parts look the same no stretching or dilating yet but that can change at any time I guess.. from now on the buck will not be introduced to my girls until September I hate not knowing breeding dates - lesson learned

#18 ·
I forgot to mention .I noticed she keeps lifting up her back leg and licks or cleans her nips ...idk if that means anything or not but she never did that before that I've seen
If her udder is tight, it could be a comfort/anxiety thing. Could be her trying to sneak a lick, or pull her plugs out of her teats for the baby.

Perfectly normal. :)

#20 ·
ok this goat has me running in circles ..I am so confused on what's going on with her- all discharge has dried up :confused: does that happen or is she messing with me...please any advice would be very helpful ..I just don't get it...I will check on her before bed and at 5am bright and early maybe there will be something more to go on.

#22 ·
Both of you being new to a goat pregnancy is certainly nerve wracking! Not having an exact breed date makes things that much worse, do you have a time frame of when you suspect she was bred ? To me she looks to have a few weeks to go.

#24 ·
no babies yet :( only in my dreams :D she had more small amounts of discharge yesterday her mommy instincts are kicking in ..her lady parts are getting puffier and she's been pawing around in the hay here and there my hubby thinks this coming week will be her day to shine :baby:( they should be some cute babies mom is Nubian and Boer and the daddy is a kiko )

#25 ·
( they should be some cute babies mom is Nubian and Boer and the daddy is a kiko )
Ha! The light colored one in the front of my profile pic??? Her mama is a nubian/boer and her daddy was a kiko!! her name is MaryKay because she was pink when she was born and has a black "beauty spot" on her back. Can't wait to see what yours look like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.