1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
C6753C81-25F8-4336-8333-411E00BF9A8E.jpeg
4FC5A90B-6411-44FA-814A-602ACBEA2A1D.jpeg
0D6E1A1A-5B70-45DC-BAA0-934EFB93C6F0.jpeg
My nigerian dwarf doe (FF) is due this coming Saturday...only a few days. I am still pretty new to goats and this will be only our 3rd birth on the farm. She has developed a little different than the other two. Her back end area has been swollen up for the last 5 weeks. I have been keeping an eye on her and she seems perfectly okay. Now that she is getting real close, it dawned on me that this could actually be a real problem. Maybe being swollen like this could affect the birthing process. like wont be able to pass them. here's some pictures...please let me know if i am overthinking. thank you Tara

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
View attachment 170843 View attachment 170845 View attachment 170847 My nigerian dwarf doe (FF) is due this coming Saturday...only a few days. I am still pretty new to goats and this will be only our 3rd birth on the farm. She has developed a little different than the other two. Her back end area has been swollen up for the last 5 weeks. I have been keeping an eye on her and she seems perfectly okay. Now that she is getting real close, it dawned on me that this could actually be a real problem. Maybe being swollen like this could affect the birthing process. like wont be able to pass them. here's some pictures...please let me know if i am overthinking. thank you Tara
She just looks like a doe with puffy pants gettin ready to gift you kids to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My two FF look like that too, they are just getting ready, at first I thought something was weird, but nah... They are just a bit puffy as sfgwife said:heehee:

·
Registered
30,638 Posts
puffy pants
:heehee:

I agree. Most likely due to her being heavy bred. Might give her some carrot and celery juice (juice 2 each and feed that to her 2 times a day until she delivers) in case its a slight prolapse. Prolapse can happen with heavy loads or if she has a calcium need. The juice is perfectly safe to give even if she doesnt need it..and wont hurt in the long run at all.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Pretty girl!

Some get puffier than others. Sometimes you see newborn does with inflammation like this that I've read is caused by a surge of estrogen from the dams - I'm not sure if that is true but maybe she is a hormonal gal!

I don't mean to be rude at all, only helpful, have you checked her for lice recently? Her coat looks kind of roughed up like she has been chewing at it and itchy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty girl!

Some get puffier than others. Sometimes you see newborn does with inflammation like this that I've read is caused by a surge of estrogen from the dams - I'm not sure if that is true but maybe she is a hormonal gal!

I don't mean to be rude at all, only helpful, have you checked her for lice recently? Her coat looks kind of roughed up like she has been chewing at it and itchy.
Just finished up treating her for lice... so your right on the money. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts