The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doe is due to kid late this month and is scoring a 3/4 on the FAMACHA test. She was wormed with valbazen the last week of January (didn’t know she was pregnant). Should I worm her again or wait till after she kids? Should I use a different wormer? Is there something natural I can use to lower the worm load?

She’s also showing signs or copper deficiency though she was boloused last month and has really flakey skin on her udder + dandruff. I’m suspecting a larger mineral issues. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I would recommend that you get a fecal done on her and also post some pictures of her here.

·
Super Moderator
82,243 Posts
I wouldn’t of chosen Valbezen not safe for pregnant does.

Usually yes, we worm again in 10 days, 3 x 10 days apart for worse cases. Ivomec is safe late term.
But depends on if she has tapes or not, which Ivomec does not kill.
Did you get a fecal before you wormed her?

Being copper deficient allows worm loads to explode. So bolus her if she is showing signs.

If she is too light/anemic you may need iron, however it cancels out copper.
So use your best judgement.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I just went through this.
To get my doe back to safe, I used ivermectin sub q (it stings) then redcell every day for a week and vitamin B complex daily For a week. Also I gave her a vitamin c chewable 500mg daily.
It took about 10 days to get her to a 3 FAMACHA and I still check daily.
I did also give her a kids 2gr dose of copper since she had just had 4gr in Jan.
Also feed a high protein alfalfa hay, and pellets.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts