The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First time posting here and could really use some help.

For some context I got these goats somewhere around a month ago and didn't quite realize what I was getting myself into. Didn't realize I was buying a pregnant goat for sure.

Anyways when I got them the previous owner had them on a daily ration of sweet feed and straw. They seemed to be doing fine on this mixture but when they came to my house I had a completely overgrown lot for them and they ate a huge variety of leafy green plants. 5 of my 6 goats are doing just fine and it's just the very pregnant momma that's dealing with Diahrea.

So here's what I've done so far.
1. I've permanently penned her up so she cannot get any further greens.
2. I'm giving her a daily ration of straw and have completely cut her off from grains/sweet feed.
3. I'm giving her a 30ml drench of goat electrolytes and leaving the remaining mixture in her pen as free choice.
4. I've dewormed her with horse Ivermectin paste at the rate of 3x her body weight. I plan to give her a second doseage (doing this for the whole herd) after 10 days have passed.
5. She's currently on day 3 out of 5 of a Corid treatment.
6. I've been mixing probiotics in with her electrolyte drench.
7. I've swapped her to free choice loose minerals inside of her pen.

At this point we ARE seeing SOME progress in the occasional brown "Log" turd but most times she flip flops back and forth between pudding consistency and thicker diahrea.

I'm really unsure where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want this momma to thrive and I want her babies to be healthy.

Please be kind as this is my first foray into goats and I might be just a tad bit overwhelmed with all the problems i've run into so far lol. I read somewhere goats were supposed to be the "easiest" livestock to start out with. I have my doubts :p

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
423 Posts
When dealing with digestive issues she should have access to hay at all times. She needs the roughage to help get the system back to normal. What probiotics are you using? What loose minerals does she have? Have you had a fecal done? Overall I think you have done a good job of getting her on the right track here.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got into goats. I tried everything and nothing worked. Finally took her to the vet and found out that she had a very low tolerance for worms. After deworming over and over nothing helped and I finally sold her.
So first things first you need to do a fecal test on her. Take a good fecal sample in a bag to a vet. They’ll run a fecal test to test for Barberpole worms and coccidia. You could also ship a sample to Meadow Mist labs if you can’t find a vet to do it. But most will.
Next, I want to clarify that when you say “straw” you actually mean hay. Straw and hay are totally different as straw is used for bedding and has no nutritional value. Hay is what animals eat.
You have done a great job with her!! So don’t be discouraged. This kind of thing happens to everyone eventually. And welcome to TGS!! You found a good place.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got into goats. I tried everything and nothing worked. Finally took her to the vet and found out that she had a very low tolerance for worms. After deworming over and over nothing helped and I finally sold her.
So first things first you need to do a fecal test on her. Take a good fecal sample in a bag to a vet. They’ll run a fecal test to test for Barberpole worms and coccidia. You could also ship a sample to Meadow Mist labs if you can’t find a vet to do it. But most will.
Next, I want to clarify that when you say “straw” you actually mean hay. Straw and hay are totally different as straw is used for bedding and has no nutritional value. Hay is what animals eat.
You have done a great job with her!! So don’t be discouraged. This kind of thing happens to everyone eventually. And welcome to TGS!! You found a good place.
I am really hoping they mean hay and are not really feeding straw.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First off just take a deep breath. You're doing fine. We've all been there at the learning curve.

My best guess is since she was on the sweet feed and straw and she came to your house to all those tasty greens, it just over whelmed her system. I would slowly start introducing those back to her. Maybe cut some and through them in her pen.
Yes I would get hay instead of straw, straw is low in nutrients.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If she eats crackers, like animal crackers, you can get probiotic gel and make a cracker/gel sandwich with the gel in the middle and give that to her every few hours. You can also put the gel in a leaf and fold the leaf like a taco.

I recommend a goat specific probiotic. You can order the brand “Goats Prefer Probiotic” in a tube and a powder. This brand is often at Tractor Supply in store. You can order it from Tractor supply, Valley Vet, Jeffers.com, and other stores as well. It’s great to have on hand! When I notice scours, I start my Nigerians at 5cc-10cc depending on how clumpy or loose stool is of probiotic gel and give that to them every few hours. I don’t drench it in anything else. I just put the tube in the corner of their mouth and give it that way. If she fights, you might need to secure her to a fence or have someone help. I have a goat that is sensitive to digestive upset, so I have started putting a little of the powder probiotic on her grain every day to see if I can prevent scouring from starting in the first place and treat any scouring with the paste version. Some greens, like clover (I think?), are higher in protein and oak leaves can make some goats sick if they have too much.

I would feed your girl some alfalfa pellets if she is later in her pregnancy for calcium. Some types of hay are better than others. With any change in feed, it’s a good idea to give probiotic paste and/or slowly change their diet.I was surprised how sensitive their digestive system is, too!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,206 Posts
You are doing great! Just breath. Shes eating, and sounds to be doing ok. My guess, the green roughage was too much for her. Thats ok. You are treating her well. Let her have her hay. Get some Spectroguard. Its a swine scour stop.medicine. The directions are on the box. It works nicely on goats. It also has a small amount of antibiotics to help. You can get it at Tractor supply.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
I agree...youbare doing great. Removing her from pasture was good idea..I repeat what most have said..
Goat specific probiotics daily and I would also give her dark beer once a day for 3 days to help restore flora in her rumen. 3 or 4 iz for her size at room temp. Darker beer the better.
Quality hay AND some alfalfa. (Add new food slowly)
Shes growing life in her so definitely needs calories.
The pig scour halt should help dry her up..once she is back to berries..start her on a quality goat specific 16% protuen feed pellet..not sweet feed. (I would switch them all off sweet feed)
I would also give her Tummy Tamer 2x a day, I'll post that recipe. I would also get her in a carrot and celery juice once she is back to berries to support her calcium need as well as raspberry leaves for uterine support. She's been through a lot and any help you can provide is bonus.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Cinnamon
Ginger
Slippery elm
Acb
Molasses
20-30cc water..blend smooth with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves
Drench slowly 2 x a day until fully back to berries.

Once she's back to berries, you can slowly introduce her back to pasture. Start her day with hay and probiotics...then give her a hour or so out then put back in her pen. Do this daily allowing more and more time out in pasture as long as she does well.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Ivomectin is ok to use while pregnant. Def. Send a fecal out 10 days after dewormer to be sure its helping.
Meadowmist labs is good and only $6

·
Registered
566 Posts
To clarify by straw I do mean coastal hay. Got it at tractor supply. I guess that's what I'll be onto quickly here then. She's giving me plenty of samples to work with so I'll start with that. If you had to recommend a dewormer where would you start? Is ivermectin ok?
You can check her eyelid to see if she is anemic or not. Research checking a goat’s FAMACHA. Some parasites cause anemia and need a more specific dewormer. The diarrhea right now is probably going to resolve after a few days if her stomach is upset from what she’s been eating. I don’t deworm unless a goat is losing weight, anemic looking, or a fecal shows too high of a parasite count. It’s completely normal for a goat to have parasites, but you deworm when they are high or the goat is showing signs of illness. There’s also mites and lice that can cause anemia. If the goat’s skin is scabby/dandruffy or you can see specs running around in the fur close to her body, you can treat with ivermectin cattle pour on at 3x her body weight and use a syringe to put it down her back or use injectable ivermectin instead. You can search forums on here for more information on deworming and dosages. Over the years, some dosages have changed. Some dewormers are bad for pregnant goats. What you’ve been using is safe I believe. I’m newer to goats, so I won’t give you more specific advice outside what I know and have done myself.😀 I keep a container of Valbazen for tapeworms and stomach worms. I’ve read not to use that for pregnant goats. It works for barber pole worms for some goat owners. I think it can also treat liver fluke. I use corid for coccidia. I have ivermectin horse paste on hand just in case I need that. It’s also for stomach worms.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Your doe does need a lot of nutritional support during pregnancy. Calcium is very important along with loose minerals (sweetlix or purina wind and rain not medicated), add alfalfa pellets if you don't have another source. She does need grain, I'm not a fan of sweet feed, so see if you can find a pelleted goat feed 16% protein, etc. Probiotics, limited access to fresh greens, run a fecal so you know exactly what type of worms or parasite you are dealing with. Know that Valbazen cannot be used in pregnant goats. Free choice her hay, slowly offer quality pelleted grain/ alfalfa and slowly up the pellets. Best wishes.

·
Administrator
85,684 Posts
Get some alfalfa hay and slowly start her out on it. She needs
natural calcium now.

Pig Scour halt helps stop scours cases where you tried everything. 2 x a day double dosage it states on the label.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First I want to thank everyone for their input. I will be going through and doing my best to implement all of your advice to the best of my ability as I'm able to do so. Some of the ones I know I can do easily is introduce Alfalfa for calcium (She's getting calcium from the electrolyte mix but I'm sure natural and fresh is better), and also interested in giving her tummy tamer.

So I caved and took her to a vet. I just feel a tad bit overwhelmed by all the variables so I opted to have her looked at while also having a fecal sample performed.

He said that she was loaded with worms (although I failed to ask him which worms they were. I'll attempt to call him tomorrow to see if he can tell me.). He sent me home with some Fenbendazole and told me to give her a five day dosing to do a worm purge.

This aligns with the FAMACHA reading I'm seeing on her eyes (Thanks again for that little tidbit of info. Hers are seriously very close to level 5 if not right on it.) This of course makes me wonder just how much of my herd is dealing with parasytes at or near this level.

I think my current plan is to continue Electrolytes w/ Probiotics, Introduce Alfalfa hay into the Coastal she's already eating, Give her the dewormer for the next 4 days, and look into this Tummy Tamer stuff.

Any further advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again everyone!

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Fenbendazole won't cut it for most parasites. I would use it in combination with a second dewormer to be sure she gets good coverage. Cydectin sheep drench or Ivomectin product. Both are safe for pregnancy. (Don't get cydectin cattle pour on (purple) )
Let us know what you get and we can help with dosage.
Tummy Tamer would be helpful here as well.

Best wishes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fenbendazole won't cut it for most parasites. I would use it in combination with a second dewormer to be sure she gets good coverage. Cydectin sheep drench or Ivomectin product.
I guess my question is would you give them to her simultaneously? And would you also do it on a five day program? I'll stop by a feed store and grab some today.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts