The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I recently purchased a boer goat and the previous owner mentioned that she is possibly pregnant because she saw her breed with buck back on August 12th. Since yesterday she wouldn't eat and seem sad and tired. This morning she had bad breath and have mouth and head movements in circle and from one side to another. She open her mouth frequently. I never deal with a pregnant goat is there anything I am doing bad like a certain supplement or vitamin i should provide to her. I don't know what to give her since she is pregnant.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Welcome to TGS,
First off, what’s her temperature taken rectally? (Normal is 101.5-103.5)
Are her lungs clear, no runny nose? Good rumen sounds?
What are you feeding her? Hay? Grain? Alfalfa pellets?
What loose minerals does she have access to and are they free choice?
Does she have other herd mates to keep her company?

What you can do is give her vitamin b complex sub q and a dose of probios to start while we help you figure things out.
Hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H
Welcome to TGS,
First off, what’s her temperature taken rectally? (Normal is 101.5-103.5)
Are her lungs clear, no runny nose? Good rumen sounds?
What are you feeding her? Hay? Grain? Alfalfa pellets?
What loose minerals does she have access to and are they free choice?
Does she have other herd mates to keep her company?

What you can do is give her vitamin b complex sub q and a dose of probios to start while we help you figure things out.
Hope she feels better soon
Hello
Thank you . Her temperature is 100.8 one of her eye has a dry greenish discharge I don't see any nose discharge. I don't know how to tell if the rumen sound is good sorry I am new in all this. She is having half cup of sweet feed grain per day, she has permanent hay (no alfafa) and also the grass outside. She is together with 3 more does who aren't pregnant she seems to be ithe leader . For minerals she has free choice of purina minerals powder.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Definitely get b complex in her asap. Check her famancha for color. Her temp is slightly low..get her some probiotics. Hows her poop?

Reactions: Goatowne

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
She is in need of help now. Do you have a vet?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Give her 6 cc b complex sub q

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Do you know how to check her famacha?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Let's do a check up
Retake her temp
Check her famacha (lower inner eye lid color)
Listen and feel her left side for sound, movement gasses and burps

I'll post a picture of famacha for you to check against her

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Here is that chart

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Ok. That's a good start. 3 isn't terrible but that can turn quick. With low temp I would work her rumen. Probiotics and dark beer together. B complex asap if not already given.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
Her temp is low, could be her rumen is off, probiotics and thiamine or fortified vit b complex SQ daily.

Check for her left side rumen sounds and movement. It is suppose to be active and you may be able to hear it by placing your ear to her side.
A stethoscope is best to use.

Make her get up and move around massage her left side(rumen).
You say she is circling, is it just her head? She doesn’t have her head to her side does she?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Her temp is low, could be her rumen is off, probiotics and thiamine or fortified vit b complex SQ daily.

Check for her left side rumen sounds and movement. It is suppose to be active and you may be able to hear it by placing your ear to her side.
A stethoscope is best to use.

Make her get up and move around massage her left side(rumen).
You say she is circling, is it just her head? She doesn’t have her head to her side does she?
Her left side I can hear some movement very low. She sometimes circle her head she does have her head more to the left side when she stand up.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
If you can grab dark beer..give her 6 oz of room temp. That with probiotics are a powerful team to kick start the rumen.
If you have browse food ..pine, cedar..oak leaves, vines...all good medicine

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Give b complex every 6 hours..give enough to equal 500mg thiamine. So if your b complex has 100 mg thiamine..give at least 5 cc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts