Pregnant-Is it possible to have false heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Buck Naked Boers, Jan 13, 2021 at 6:08 PM.

1. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi Everyone:
    I have a quick question for all of the boer breeders. This is our first time using a CIDR to breed. I am going to be ultrasounding a doe I bred last month. She went to be with the buck. We had put in a CIDR and took it out the day we took her. She went into heat and the owner of the buck said she had semen dripping out of her.....sorry TMI I know. So I figured slam dunk she is pregnant. But 21 days later she is in what appears to be a heat. Is it possible for her to have a false heat and still be pregnant? How common are false heats? Should I assume she isn't pregnant? I will ultrasound her next week at 30 days to see if I see anything. But my heart has a sinking feeling that maybe she wasn't bred even though it appeared she was....

Thank you in advance.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just because the deed was done, doesn't mean it took. Good thing you are ultrasounding her.

CountyLineAcres, Sfgwife and MadHouse like this.

3. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Yeah that’s true. I’ve heard they can be Preg and have false heats tho. That’s why I’m asking. Wondered if anyone has had this happen to their does before.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Well usually when mine have a false heat they take on the second time :/
    And between the CIDRS and if this was her first heat of the season I think it’s a good chance it was a false heat. Cidrs sometimes don’t trigger a real strong heat and false heats on their first heat are not totally uncommon. Basically the way it was explained to me was things have been resting and it gets a little rusty and doesn’t work like it should the first to around.
    But I would defiantly ultrasound her and see what is going on. If she wasn’t gooey or flagging real hard it might have been another doe in heat. I know they can sometimes fool me around here on who exactly really is in heat and who is just acting like a fool

5. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Andersonranch: Our goats have heats all year round pretty much. So yeah we are a bit confused about how she was acting today.

We just used the cidrs to breed so she would go into heat at the right time. She definitely had a strong heat when she was bred. They sent a video to us. She wasn’t gooey tho today. But was flagging this morning.

We will see what the ultrasound shows next wk. hoping she’s pregnant. If not she will be rebred.

Thanks for your comments!!

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have dairy goats, not Boers, but, I have had does that went into heat almost every 20 days their entire pregnancy, one doe insisted on being with the buck. I figured she wasn't bred and let her hang with a buck for 5 months, then she kidded! Surprise!!! :ahh:
    They can be confusing critters, for sure!

7. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Goats rock:
    Wow! Really?? That’s amazing! We will know next wk if she is pregnant as we plan to ultrasound her. Hoping we see babies! Maybe this was just a false heat. Thanks for sharing this info tho cause it’s good to know that people experience this with their doe’s!

GoofyGoat likes this.