Pregnant Nanny not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JearDOE Ranch, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Looks like they are gaining good!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Those are good weights for being born so early! Congrats! I hope they are all continuing to thrive.

4. JearDOE Ranch

JearDOE Ranch Active Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    This morning at the 6 o'clock feeding the smallest buck didn't want to nurse. He always eats the least of the three. And now didn't want to nurse at all. He is acting strange, standing, staring off into space. He was fine at 4:00 when I went to check on him and the nannies. Six nannies have their due dates today so I was checking on them throughout the night. Going feed another bottle now, it's 10 o'clock. I'll give some b-complex when I go.

5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I hope the little fellows alright! Can you give him some probios too in case his rumen is a bit off along with the b complex?
    What's his temp?

6. JearDOE Ranch

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    Didn't check his temp. When I went over there he was right as rain. I still gave him the b-complex because it won't hurt. I think I may have accidentally gave them an extra bottle at 4 when they were not scheduled to get a bottle then. I'll keep him under observation... and maybe print a checklist for feeding times so I don't get confused again in the wee hours of the night. They are on a four hour feeding schedule, but I check the nannies every two. Now some sleep for me.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Can't wait to see the beautiful kiddos out of the other does

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    How are the little guys doing today? Is the littlest feeling better?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. JearDOE Ranch

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    Sorry, didn't mean to leave everyone hanging!! This all happened at the beginning of our kidding season, and boy, was it a season!! Update on the little guy, he was right as rain the very next feeding. I have no idea what was wrong?? I'm curious to find out because I have seen it before. Same thing, then turn around a few hours later and they are fine.

After keeping him and his brothers in the pen next to her for so long, when we tried to reintroduce them to Ruby she only took one of the kids and rejected the other two. So now they have been my bottle babies.

Update on all farm things/goat related: We found out we have a calcium deficiency in our soil. We feed our own alfalfa and brome, and the goats get to forage too, but that would mean everything they are eating is deficient in calcium. So we'll be rectifying that in their feed. We hope that'll take care of some of the issues we had kidding this year. Also, nannies are going on a diet as soon as weening is done!

Pictures of the not so little anymore 121_3879.JPG guy:
    121_4162.JPG
    121_4348.JPG

11. JearDOE Ranch

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    His brother, the other bottle baby: Sorry, about the only way I can get a picture of the bottle babies is if they are peeing! Otherwise they are climbing all over me!
    33.3.29.4.JPG
    33.3.29.3.JPG

And the brother that Ruby is still nursing.
    121_4360.JPG

SalteyLove likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Looking good, wow, getting so big. :)