The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my first time with a goat, we got her about a month ago and the man we got her from thought she would give birth any day. Well she looked extremely pregnant and a week after we got her her stomach dropped, and her back sides hallowed out so we thought it'd be any time. I've seen discharge a few times over the past month but that is all. No swollen vulva and her bag is not filling, which I can know can fill up after birth. But her stomach seems to be getting smaller. :-/ I tried to feel the stomach for any movement but she won't be still long enough for me to tell. Any chance she could just have all the symptoms of pregnancy without actually having a kid lol. Is it just not her time yet?

· Super Moderator
65,403 Posts
Can you post a picture of her back end with her tail up (naturally) and her lady parts showing? Get the whole back end.

She may not be pregnant at all and the discharge is from heat. So it is hard to say without seeing the goat.

· Administrator
96,238 Posts
I agree, if it was a month ago, that the breeder said she was going to drop any day, and by now, doesn't look any different, no udder or poofy vulva or have any babies, she may not be pregnant. Pics would help as described above.

I know you are new to goats, you are not in trouble, just want to educate a bit, we here at TGS like calling the girls, "Does" instead of nannies. ;)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha geez Doe, I knew that! I will get a pic of her this morning when I go out. Should mention too that the man we got her from was not a breeder and had gotten her from an auction only weeks before we got her. He was told she was bred but had no specific due date.

· Administrator
96,238 Posts
It's OK, LOL ;)

Pics would definitely help, with no history, so we can see if she is showing or not. She needs to be 2 to 3 months along, 3 months is better to be able to try to tell by viewing.

Get a pic with her tail up naturally, close enough to see her whole back end details, with udder area.
One side shot as well.
To get those pics, feeding her favorite grain and standing behind her ect, will help. ;)

· Administrator
96,238 Posts
I am not a pygmy expert but, She doesn't look like she is ready to kid, her vulva isn't sloppy, no udder, and no signs of baby bumps.

You may be seeing a healthy ruminant(left side),by the end of the day, it will look bigger, then in the morning it subsides until she eats again.

She looks really healthy and good, what are you feeding her?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she forages through our woods and 3 acre field and I give her a cup of goat feed a day. :) I just knew once her stomach dropped down she would kid really soon. Really disappointing. I was really looking forward to fresh milk. :-/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.