The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with this girl for a while now. She is 4 months pregnant and has been severely anemic. She is a rescue and at her old home she didn't have minerals or anything. She has access to minerals now and I am giving her redcell daily. Had a fecal done that showed only like 5 worm eggs. They were barber pole eggs but 5 eggs shouldn't cause this right? I was told my the person who did the test that she had moderate coccidia which shouldn't be enough to cause these kinds of issues. I want to help her but I have no clue what's going on. She had lice when she came here but I bathed her and shaved her down which took care of that issue.
Terrestrial animal Snout Tail Fur Claw

Llama Sheep Alpaca Fawn Dog breed

The only thing I could think of now is maybe some kind of deficiency? Copper? Iron? She is just laying here. Can't stand even with help. She is baa-ing at me when I try to leave her to grab stuff. What else can I do? I'm going to get vitamin b today which we had tried before but recently ran out so I have to get more. She can sit with her head up if I help her. Her dad recently did this same thing and passed away despite everything I have tried to help them. I feel like the worst goat mama in the world right now cause I don't know how to help. What can I do? I have ordered copper bolus which will be here in a few days. What can I do for her now to help her while I'm waiting on the vitamin b and copper bolus to get here? The red stuff on her mouth isn't blood btw. It's redcell.

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
How long has she been down? How is her appetite? I would get some ketone strips and check that to start with. She might have pregnancy toxemia which is what is causing her not to want to get up or it might be coming on because she doesn’t feel good. Either way I would see how she is doing in that department.
Copper deficiency can cause anemia and if you have been giving red cell for awhile the iron could be blocking what copper she has been getting. Looking at her coat I don’t think a copper bolus would hurt her any. You could also ask your vet about multimin which is a shot that has copper and a few other minerals in it. It should hit her system faster then a copper bolus.
Also how is her hydration. Again zooming in on a phone but looks like her eyes are a little sunken in which is dehydration.
And almost forgot the important part. Temp on her?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She went down sometime last night. I noticed yesterday she was kind of hanging out by herself away from the herd. Found her this morning in her little house thing unable to get up so I carried her to the shed and layed her on the hay. I'm going to get the vitamin b complex now. I'll get her temp when I get back. Her dad did the same thing before he passed. He started drinking a ton of water and acted lethargic then next day passed away. She hasn't drank much since yesterday but I gave her a bit of water in a syringe this morning. Her appetite was great yesterday morning but she doesn't want to eat anything now. I'll check into getting ketone strips as well.
How long has she been down? How is her appetite? I would get some ketone strips and check that to start with. She might have pregnancy toxemia which is what is causing her not to want to get up or it might be coming on because she doesn’t feel good. Either way I would see how she is doing in that department.
Copper deficiency can cause anemia and if you have been giving red cell for awhile the iron could be blocking what copper she has been getting. Looking at her coat I don’t think a copper bolus would hurt her any. You could also ask your vet about multimin which is a shot that has copper and a few other minerals in it. It should hit her system faster then a copper bolus.
Also how is her hydration. Again zooming in on a phone but looks like her eyes are a little sunken in which is dehydration.
And almost forgot the important part. Temp on her?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm working on getting a vet out here. Our usual livestock vet is out of state at the moment and I'm having a hard time finding another one in our area. Nobody around here wants to see goats apparently. Our vet will be back on Sunday but I don't think she will make it until then.

· Registered
293 Posts
In the meantime some electrolytes and cayenne couldn't hurt. They will help keep her body going.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still no luck finding a vet that can get here sooner. Poor girl is trying to stand but can't. She will let out a loud "baaa" and move her front legs a little but can't stand. I'm giving her electrolytes and b complex shot now. Not sure how much that will help her but I'm trying my best. 😞 I am staying out here with her cause I don't want her to be alone.

· Fair-Haven
6,171 Posts
Since she is 4 moths pregnant , I would give her a magic drench ( someone chime in who remembers the ratios). Or power punch.
Also a calcium boost wouldn’t hurt. She looks a big thin to be 4 months along in her pregnancy.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Since she is 4 moths pregnant , I would give her a magic drench ( someone chime in who remembers the ratios). Or power punch.
Also a calcium boost wouldn’t hurt. She looks a big thin to be 4 months along in her pregnancy.
MAGIC: 1 part Molasses * 2 parts Kayro syrup * 1 part Corn Oil - dose 5-10 cc

· Registered
2,599 Posts
Yep you need a vet she may need IV fluids and/or a blood transfusion depending on what is wrong

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Poor mama. I know you are trying hard to give her a chance.
I would do the magic as mentioned or 30 cc 50/50 molasses and water at least 2x a day. Calcium drench or a carrot and celery juice..every few hours. Probiotics daily and b complex injectable daily as a support.
If shes anemic start anemia protocol asap..red cell 6 cc per 100# once a day for a week then once or twice a week until she pinks up. The b complex or b 12, 30 cc of a 50/50 acv/water once a day. Can split it two doses if better for her.
If shes not eating well, add smoothies of dark greens, carrot, garlic, apple in electrolytes or there is a high calorie drink called Dyne.
Keep her propped up on her sternum, don't let her lay flat.

Reactions: toth boer goats

15,518 Posts
I'm so sorry that is strange for sure. Was she dewormed despite finding 5 eggs? Treated for Cocci? If you treated for Cocci what did you use?

Something you can try if she is needing an energy boost and not eating well::

1 can cream corn
1 can pumpin
BLEND UNTIL SMOOTH

Measure about 6oz. in a measuring cup. Then if you have the stuff to make magic, you can add some of that. Maybe measure out about 15cc of each.
Drench her with that, or see if she will eat it out of the bowl.

Probiotics.

I'd get Ketone strips to rule out toxemia. Google 'Hypocalcemia in goats' and read the symptoms for that since she is in the 4 week range for being due.

Otherwise I wish I had something to suggest. If she wasn't pregnant I would say give her some Dexamethasone to try or Banamine, but I would not give Dex it can cause her to abort. A little Banamine won't hurt though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts