The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I would love to hear what you’d do in my situation....
I bought a 5 year old Nigerian doe as a companion for our pony. We brought her home in late December and she was early on in her pregnancy. I gave a 4g copper bolus in January (she had not had one in at least 3 years). Fast forward to now, she’s due in 10 days and today I noticed she has some fish tail going on. Do I bolus her again?? Seems too soon....She has loose minerals always (but doesn’t seem thrilled at them), shes getting grain twice daily and free fed alfalfa, 2 weeks ago I gave BoSe, CDT, trimmed hooves, had a fecal done- mild cocci and heavy strongylis- so I gave safeguard and got Albon and valbazen for after kidding. Anything I’m missing? 🤪 Main question is if you’d give another copper bolus? Or wait- and if so- until when? 6mo? We are on a well. Thank you for reading this!!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Shes a cutie. Yes...I bolus here very 3 months. My well water is high is Sulphur which is a copper antagonist. Iron and calcium can be too. Dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. I would use her regular weight to dose. 4 grams is good for 88 pounds. Which maybe a good amount for her. It's ok to be slightly over on amount since they are slow release.
Be sure to keep her separate from your pony for kidding and getting kids strong on their feet. (Honeslty not sure about ponys) but with donkeys got to reintroduce them to the new goats. ??just a thought.

Happy kidding

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely bolus again.
Th
Shes a cutie. Yes...I bolus here very 3 months. My well water is high is Sulphur which is a copper antagonist. Iron and calcium can be too. Dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. I would use her regular weight to dose. 4 grams is good for 88 pounds. Which maybe a good amount for her. It's ok to be slightly over on amount since they are slow release.
Be sure to keep her separate from your pony for kidding and getting kids strong on their feet. (Honeslty not sure about ponys) but with donkeys got to reintroduce them to the new goats. ??just a thought.

Happy kidding
Thank you Cathy! I have a kidding stall all ready for her and separate them at night-just in case- she has a very soft bleat and I’m worried she may not be loud enough so I put a baby monitor out in her stall too. Haha. I appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a note - I would be cautious about that "heavy strongyle" number being treated by safeguard, it isn't usually very effective so I would definitely fecal again.

What loose mineral does she have?
Yes- I have valbazen to give once she kids-I was just too nervous to give it while she’s pregnant so went with the safeguard. The minerals are manna pro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts