Pregnant Nigerian Dwarf with Prolapse, need help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RileyR3251, Dec 7, 2019.

1. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    I have a pregnant Nigerian Dwarf goat that should be giving birth any day now and it looks as if she had a prolapse, though I do not know how to help her and I want to try to get things better before she tries to go into labor

2. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    I am sorry for there not being any pictures, I cannot add any to the post since I am a new member, though I will try to find a way to get it where you guys can see what she looks like

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You're not too far from me Welcome to The Goat Spot!
    You should be able to add pictures after your third post. (I believe) so reply then try adding a picture.

4. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    Alright I will try that

5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Ok, I hope it works. Click upload a file and select photo from your phone computer or tablet then click upload and then post the reply and it should show up. If not it might be 5 posts...can't remember it's been a while

6. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    cant see the picture :(
    are you on a phone, PC or tablet?

7. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    I had posted the pictures from my laptop

8. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    OK, try this...click upload a file, click on the picture you want to upload, open it then click full image then post reply

Attached Files:

9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh ok you got it! Great. As far as your doe, I believe you need to call your vet on this one , so he can clean and put it back and put in a stitch till she's about to give birth. That's beyond my expertise.
    @toth boer goats, @SalteyLove, @goatblessings
    I flagged these great breeders owners to see if they can help

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  10. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas

I think I got it this time

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    We already called the vet, but we don't have a way to get her there is the problem

12. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Can you put her on a tarp in your backseat? I wish you were a bit closer, I'm about an hour and a half from you...
    BTW she looks a lot like my doe Luna...whose also preggo :)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    The only vehicle we would be able to get her in without lifting her too high is a small Kia, and the other vehicle we have it a Ford F250 that we would hurt ourselves trying to lift her up into it

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  14. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Do you have a car?
    She will fit in any vehicle! Just put a tarp down then absorbent towels and put her in the back seat.

There are no Veterinarians that make farm calls?

While arranging her vet visit, rinse the prolapse with cold water (she will HATE this but it will help the swelling which is rapidly occurring) then after rinsing, generously pour normal white sugar all over the exposed tissue (yes I'm serious! Get a whole 5 lb bag of sugar.)

You need to get her a vet soon or the tissue will begin to die and that's a much bigger issue.

15. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'd use the KIA, wouldn't be the first time I put a goat in a car to get to a vet. When's her due date?

16. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You have to do it . Get neighbors friends or family if you have health issues that prevent lifting. She is a small goat and it can be done. She will fit fine in the Kia, I'm not understanding the issue

FoxRidge and Moers kiko boars like this.
  17. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    We don't know, but her daughter, who was born back in February just gave birth about two hours ago, so her and my other pregnant doe should be giving birth any day now

18. RileyR3251

RileyR3251 New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Edgewood Texas
    The only problem now is that our vet closed thirty minutes ago and I don't believe they are open on Sundays