The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone I'd love your opinions.
We are not doing alfalfa hay this year. Instead we're feeding good grass roll bales, and of course their 16% medicated pelleted feed, browse, minerals, etc.

5 does due in January - boer/crosses.

I know we need to add something, but not sure what would be best. I do have a tight budget that I work, so I can't go all out. I need something that is absolutely necessary.

I was thinking alfalfa pellets, and BOSS?

When would you start supplementing?

Please keep in mind that some of our girls tend to throw big babies, so I don't want to overdo it and cause a size complication.

I plan on getting a 2nd trashcan to use for feed. 1 for does nursing, 1 for does who are pregnant. I'd like to try and mix the alfalfa pellets & BOSS into the grain so it's ready to use.

So how much would you add to a 50lb. bag of feed <minimum vs. what you prefer>.

Or are there any other supplements that would be better to use?

Also....

I plan on giving the girls calcium tablets. How soon should I start? I was thinking 3 weeks before their due date?
How many would be a safe amount to give and how often? Most of the does see them as a treat.

Slowly trying to get this all figured out.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
With the calcium tablets, the lady I learned that from just feeds a few Tums a day everyday starting a week before they kid. As for pregnant does and nursing does, when I grain, I feed the same grain whether I'm graining kids, pregnant does, nursing does, milking does, etc.

For every 2lbs of grain they get this is what it consists of normally (if they are pretty good weight, I will cut some of the manna for more alfalfa pellets or dry cob):

1/2lb Manna/Excelorator
1/2lb 16%
1/2lb Alfalfa pellet
1/4lb BOSS
1/4lb Dry cob

If I'm going to grain during pregnacy (Which I don't very often), I grain the first three months of pregnancy, cut their ration by 50-75% in the 4th month, feed no grain the 5th month, and about 3-5 days before kidding I will start up with the grain again so they keep their weight and milk well.

For the doe I have that has elephant sized kids every year on no grain at all, she gets nothing but grass hay, or oat hay all pregnacy, and she still has 13lb kids (she's only 105-110lbs herself, small alpine doe)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm with Karen. I feed good grass/alfalfa hay, no grain at all and my girls do very well on it. Feeding good quality straight grass hay I would either supplement them with about 1 pound per doe, or swap out 2 pounds of hay for 2 pounds of alfalfa pellets and adjust as needed.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! We'll start with the alfalfa pellets a week before they are due, and use the tums.

We don't have much browse/grass in the winter, so I want them to have the hay free choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts