Pregnant or fat?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by CaramelKittey, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Pregnant

2. Fat

3. Both

4. Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Hi all! So many of you
    are p
    robably tired of hearing about Gracie so I won't bore you with that story again...;)

We saw her go into heat on April 3rd. She was very interested in our bucklings so we took her to the breeder's and saw her get bred that same morning. Her next heat cycle if she was not bred that day would've been on April 24th. We did not see her go into heat. Next cycle would've been May 15th. No sign of heat. Her next cycle should be June 5th if she isn't pregnant. Since we *bred* her, she has shown no interest in our bucklings..unlike our other two does..

Today is day 60/145 of pregnancy. She would be due August 26th if the is pregnant. The whole thing to me just seems to good to be true! Then again..she may not be pregnant and we are just really bad at identifying heat cycles...;)

Here are some photos of her I took today. Her underbelly is not fully shaved, and same with the leg areas below the hocks/knees. The rest of her is shaved with Andis 2-Speed clippers, blade 4. I shaved her this morning.

I have no idea how much she weighs..as it would be very difficult to find out. Obviously...:haha::rolleyes: She gets about 1/4 cup of grain twice a day. Has 24/7 access to lots of grass, and access to lots of brush in the daytime. She gets bullied away from most of the hay so I know she is not eating all of the hay..
    She is an obvious easy keeper but I've never seen her so large before! Especially for a doe that should only be 2 months into pregnancy..
    So.....what do you all think?

IMG_8895.JPG IMG_8903.JPG IMG_8904.JPG

She is current 2 years and 2 months old. She would be a first freshener.
    Thanks so much in advance!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Blood test would tell you for sure.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I would do the blood test, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy wondering!!! :shrug:
    Good luck, I hope she took!

4. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We do plan to do a blood test sometime when we aren’t incredibly busy..
    Does anybody know of if
    P-Tests are accurate? We have tried them before and they both said positive for two does that kidded on the correct date but I’m not sure if they are always accurate, or at least 90% accurate. Thanks in advance if anybody knows. :)

MadHouse likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

6. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Also in addition to a blood test, note that the rumen is more towards the left and a baby would be more towards the right (the goat’s left and right). It may not be obvious enough to tell you anything though it could give you an idea of whether she’s pregnant or not until you do a blood test.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  7. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    I think she just might be! But I'd try a urine test from emlab genetics, they are just 5 bucks and have always been accurate for me. I think some get bad results when they don't read it right, the first 60 seconds tells you if she is pregnant and the next 9 minutes it will tell you approx how far along. Most wait that full 10 min to tell them positive or not so they'll get false positives or false negatives.

MellonFriend and CaramelKittey like this.
  8. CaramelKittey

Thank you! I’ll have to give them a try! It is much easier than drawing blood, as we have never done it before. When we did the P-Tests, (long time ago with two different does) we saw the test in the first 60 seconds said positive. Then it turned the color that said negative in the 9 minutes after. The directions said it would tell you in the first 60 seconds, (like you said :)) so we disregarded the 9 minute period of weird-color.

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.
  9. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    Yeah they've clarified it since then saying the 9 min reading is for how far along, so if she's early it will turn the same color as the negative pregnancy so don't be alarmed! Lol I love those tests.

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  10. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We will attempt to do the test with her. :) From my experience it usually takes a few days of being there at the wrong time but hopefully we will catch her at the right time and get some results!

MadHouse and Spryng like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. CaramelKittey

Still haven't caught her yet...
    We switched to a new type of feed for our goats. I'll be monitoring her and watching for any signs of transitioning issues. So far so good. We have been transitioning them slowly. :)

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Complete waste of money for me - not anymore expensive to do a blood test.

14. CaramelKittey

Thank you. We already have a P-Test kit, so we will try it and most likely do a blood test as well just to be safe. I'm just curious to see what they say. ;)

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  15. CaramelKittey

Still haven’t caught her to do the P-Test. She was supposed to go into heat on June 26th and we saw no signs of heat! Not sure if a blood test is required anymore..thoughts?

Anyways..now I’m confused about something else..
    Gracie is due on August 26th and she appears to be developing an udder. She was shaved at the same length in all the pictures below. However, I probably should shave her udder area again. Is her udder developing too early? Am I not really seeing an udder developing? Here are some old and new pictures to compare.
    6/23/2019
    82037B7B-D063-4C17-8215-838D00EDD0BE.jpeg AD761735-698F-404D-A3D8-81973FF6D465.jpeg 85AFCF3F-AE7C-4B37-867B-46CF5599F693.jpeg

6/25/2020

A86292D8-DFFF-433D-9315-27E99329D361.jpeg 86A8D69A-957B-4B5B-BD60-6007770FD983.jpeg CB047182-F1B5-4B8F-8A2E-5A6BC71B5A5E.jpeg

Thank you so much in advance!

MadHouse likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ok, I see an udder forming, looks to be pregnant.

17. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    That’s not too early. My last doe started developing an udder around 2 months before her due date, even though previous years she has developed one much later. I wouldn’t do the test if she is getting an udder, appeared to skip a heat, and you know when she was bred.

18. CaramelKittey

Thank you so much!
    I can’t believe she is finally bred. I’ve been disappointed with unsuccessful breedings and useless vets who thought they knew it all, only to have our goat breeder (and the wonderful people on TGS) figure out the issue.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  19. CaramelKittey

That’s good to hear. Thank you. I was getting worried we got the due date wrong even though that is basically impossible, since we bring her to our breeders on one day, then take her home.

toth boer goats, Ashlynn and MadHouse like this.