Pregnant or fat?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by CaramelKittey, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Pregnant

2. Fat

3. Both

4. Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    My guess is preggo but that’s just a guess!!

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I sure hope she is pregnant! :D

MadHouse likes this.

3. Courtney De St Jean

Courtney De St Jean Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Lakeville, IN
    **I responded before I finished reading the thread lol but the P-Tests are great IMO!!! Good luck

Previous reply: I have used EmLab Genetics test, see attached link and that has been mostly accurate for me. It has never given me a false positive, but has given me a false negative once or twice and I use fairly regularly, if I have a goat that I feel is bred, and I do the EmLab test and it ends up being negative I will draw blood and send to a lab, but I like having it on hand for quick checks.

https://www.emlabgenetics.com/pregnancy-test-kits

4. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We already have P-Tests of the exact brand you recommended. We haven't done a test and I'm not sure we need to anymore, but I will definitely remember what you said for future reference! ;):D

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. CaramelKittey

1B25466A-B8A6-4CB7-AB92-D4C809925CF8.jpeg
    Just shaved Gracie’s udder, but couldn’t fully get all of it or the attachments. I’m a little concerned about a small, somewhat greenish watery mucus coming from her backside. Not sure if it is from pregnancy and is normal, or if something is wrong. She is still 52 days away.
    Thanks in advance for any help given.

6. CaramelKittey

BD7B8735-6637-40FD-9615-9F58359A3099.jpeg 5AE09B07-A47D-40FC-A40C-9819068F724A.jpeg 78D3B189-7068-4E07-AB2B-21779E22268C.jpeg
    I am very confused as to what is going on with Gracie. Is that mucus from labor? I couldn’t feel her ligaments either! She’s been staying in the sheds a lot lately, and has been kinda loud. We did try to breed her in February (I’ll try to find the dates) and if the breeding took she would be bred now, but we saw her have a heat cycle after that, bred her on April 3rd when she was in heat, and that’s when we gave her the cystorelin. The mucus looks too watery to be from kids. We found one clump of waste outside her shed, but it was pretty small and we can’t be sure if it was her’s or not. We had to wipe her backside down as it was pretty dirty. I’m so confused.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. CaramelKittey

Just looked through old messages and saw we took her to be bred on February 14th, placing her due date on July 8th if that breeding was the one that took.

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

The green on her hind end could be from loose poop?
    But I see the mucus on the picture below. Mmhh. I hop someone else chimes in.

9. CaramelKittey

:( Gracie kidded one premature kid. No chance of saving, it had no fur. The placenta hasn’t passed yet and she seems to still be pushing. She is extra Whiny.

10. CaramelKittey

Not sure if I should milk her. I hear it’s about a 1% chance for one kid to be born prematurely, and it’s brother/sister to stay in until the correct date.

11. CaramelKittey

Random questions about the placenta:
    Does the placenta grow with the kid? Since she kidded 52 days before her due date, does that mean the placenta would be smaller than normal? She doesn’t seem to have another kid but there is a red bubble a little smaller than a golf or ping-pong ball. Is that the placenta?

12. CaramelKittey

Are there any medications/antibiotics I should give her? (pennicilin, oxytetracycline, etc.)

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost the kid. Green is not a normal discharge from a birth. You really need to determine if she has diarrhea. Make sure she passes the placenta. If that green did come from the birthing process, I'd probably get a vet involved to do an ultrasound. It will be very important to get the uterus cleaned out. You'll want to do uterine flushes.

Ashlynn, CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  14. CaramelKittey

Thank you. I'm not sure if a vet is an option right now. Would LA-200 work for the uterine flushes, or is that for something else? The red bubble is still coming out of her backside. it doesn't look like a prolapse, but it is a little too bright red to be a placenta. I've never seen a premature birth before, so I don't know what any of this is supposed to look like. The kid was a doeling. Could she have miscarried due to an iodine deficiency? They have been getting Sweetlix Meat Maker and haven't shown any signs of mineral deficiency from what I can tell.

15. CaramelKittey

I forgot to mention earlier. The kid was 13 ounces. I have a picture if anybody wishes to see for research/general interest.

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did she finally pass her placenta? When I do uterine flushes, I have 500cc of sterile water that I add 3cc of Betadine (or something like it) so that it looks like weak tea. I flush the whole 500cc using an IV line without the needle inserted in. My vet always had me do 2-3 days in a row flushing once a day.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/pro...Wx0cy8lN0IlMjJxJTIyJTNBJTIyaXYrdHViZSUyMiU3RA

Please post pictures. Interest on the kid but also pics of doe.

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would do as suggested or get a vet to look at her right away.

So sorry for the loss. :(

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  18. CaramelKittey

Thank you for the advice.
    This is a photo of Gracie before delivery.
    8FBF9E48-2564-47FE-8007-1DA266E692EB.jpeg
    Here is a picture of the red bubble about 3 hours ago. We haven’t checked on her since. I milked her out and got about 1/2 cup from one test, then she kicked the pan over and we lost almost all the milk. After that, we got 6.55 ounces from the other teat. We are hoping milking her will help the placenta pass. C6D7C5E5-CA6C-4A1F-943B-27F0ADFF3583.jpeg
    Is that the placenta? It was more of a bubble earlier today until she went to the bathroom on it and messed it up a bit. We have not (and will not unless told to) pulled on the placenta.
    Here is the kid.
    65AADB7D-06AB-413B-AA2E-FAEA68C4DDB9.jpeg

If there is another kid in her, will a uterine flush hurt it? I know the chances are so very low, but she just doesn’t look like she is done. Could a premature kid be breach? I’ll add new photos tomorrow.

19. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss!:imsorry:
    I hope Gracie will pass the placenta soon and be ok.
    (console)

20. CaramelKittey

Thank you. I sure hope so too! I just wish there was something I could do to help her.