Pregnant or no? (Updated with pics and ?'s)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Epona142, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hi everyone. This is my first experience with a possibility bred goat, and I've noticed that the experts here seem to know their stuff!

This goat (brush goat, most likely nigerian x alpine) is in milk, her kids were sold before I got her in May, and she was running with a buck. Don't they go into estrus shortly after giving birth? The breeder said she was likely pregnant, and due in August/October? So I took a couple pics, not very good ones I'm afraid, but hopefully they can suffice.

She was thin when I got her, but has improved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Pregnant or no?

welcome to TGS!!! :wave:

boy we have had a wave of people asking about pregnant goats.

I am going to say yes she is pregnant.

to answer your other question -- yes does will come back into heat 5-7 days after kidding. It is not wise to breed them back so soon so really I would hope she is not pregnant but it looks like my hopes are not going to help in this situation.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

Yeah , we all want to know when they are preg.! I've yet to train my eyes to see if they are or not. thanks stacey.
    Epona142- yeah that's pretty soon to breed, but It wasn't your judgement to put her in with the buck. hope she delivers safely

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thank you for the welcome, and the opinion!

I agree with you, if it had been my choice, she would not have been bred again so quickly, but I only bought her last month and she has a good home here with us.

I do have to admit I was a little hopeful she is pregnant, as I'd love to have a couple more goats, as I've really enjoyed her, and her wether companion.

I'll certainly try to keep you all updated on what happens. :wave:

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Hi, welcome from PA! I'm still leaning about this pouch test...so I won't guess here. Do you have a pic of the "whole goat". Are you milking her? How's that going?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I wasn't "blaming" you just frustrated with how people just treat their animals. :hair:

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

No worries, no "blame" taken here!

I will go out in a bit and take more pictures of her, the "whole goat" as we say. :)

I am milking her, and for a half wild goat when I got her, she is going great. Even the wether, who I could not touch when I brought him home, has become friendly enough to allow me to rub his neck, now even when I don't have goodies! They bleat when they see me coming (maybe they think I'm just bringing food!) and when I leave (bring more food!).

I do think she is drying up, as today I got very little milk. From what I have read, this is normal for her probably stage of pregnancy.

Pictures coming soon.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

WELCOME!!! I agree that it is very probable that she is also, so you will definately end up being wacko waiting for kids! Also, you feel that she's alpine/nd cross...how much was she giving you milk wise?

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Goats tend to dry themselves up about 1-2 months prior to delivery. I would say that yes she is preggers again. How many did she have last time? Was that her first time?

By the way :wave: from Idaho!!

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thank you again for the welcomes! :)

This would be her third kidding, or freshening, and I believe she had twins last time. (The breeder said she sold her kids, plural so thats why.)

Today I got very little milk, but on an average I got . . . well I never really measured! I know, shame on me. :oops: About an average pickle jar full, if that helps. Probably not! If I had to guesstimate, I'd say 5 cups on a good day? Not very much I know, but she's a small goat, and it worked for me. And I was only milking once a day. Also I imagine she was coming towards the end of her milk cycle, as today I got very little. Next time I hope to do better, as this is my first milking goat.

My guess on Alpine/Nigerian is just a best guess and the opinions of a few others. All in all, she's really just a brush goat of unknown parentage. I say Nigerian simply because of her small size, as for Alpine, that's just what was offered from more experienced keepers. She could really be any possible mix!

Now her companion, a wether I bought along with her (not her own kid) I was told looked to be at least half full Nigerian. He's quite a bit smaller, and quite plump! and was born in January of this year.

Both were darn wild when I got them, but have come around really well. I can lead the doe on a leash and she stands patiently to be milked (most of the time) and when before I couldn't touch the wether, now I can pet and rub on him, and they both come right over when I go out, seeking goodies, and call after me when I leave. I couldn't be happier with them.

I really hope to get a couple of kids. Not to sound barbaric, but is it acceptable to butcher young bucklings of this breed(s)? I plan on keeping any doelings that are free from major fault.

I got a couple more pictures, forgive the poor quality! I have a terrible camera and I'm terrible at taking pictures!

Here is the doe, Hope. Do you think she is skinny? I feel she is, though like mentioned before, she is greatly improved from when I brought her home, and has grown a belly since then too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just so you can see Uno, the wether.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please, any questions, comments, and suggestions are GREATLY welcomed and enjoyed! I have been doing research for a long time, and kept meat goats in my younger age, but there is never better information than what you glean from those more experienced! And if I can ever return the favor, I am a very experienced reptile keeper, so if you ever need anything along those lines, hit me up! :wave:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her condition doesn't look bad, though hands on...if her spine feels like a "razor blade" then yep...she needs some meat on her bones, they are both very cute...I like the color she has on her legs. It's not barbaric at all to provide for yourself and I don't see any reason not to put the young bucks in the freezer....though they may be on the small side as opposed to the bigger breeds...meat is meat. :greengrin:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What pretty goaties you have :)

It is in no way "brabaric" to put them in the freezer. I have 2 Boer / Saanan x does that are pregnant by a nigerian and their offspring are more then likely going into the freezer! Also I have 5 Blackbelly ewes that are pregnant - and almost all of those offspring and my 2 young rams are going to the freezer!

There is nothing wrong with raising your own meat! With the cost of fuel rising which is making food go up, it is the best thing that you can do and funny enough - it is better for you!

Allison

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks again! I have noticed the "Meat Goats" forum, and was fairly certain it wasn't an unusual occurance here, but you never know! I've had people call me barbaric for eating my chickens! :roll:

I ask them where they think that fried chicken they're eating comes from. :wink:

I am a true believer that what you raise and eat yourself is FAR better for you! It's taking some time to get my city raised husband on board, but he's really enjoying the chickens. The really big test came when that first jar of milk was in the fridge. He avoided it for a while, (solidly denying he was doing so of course!) until I put some in what I was cooking. Then, mysteriously, the milk disapeared, and he had his milk mug out! :slapfloor: I personally only use milk for cooking and my cereal (terribly lactose intolerant), but in my mind, it even tastes better than cattle milk.

Here's hoping for little healthy kids in a couple of months. :girl: :girl: :boy:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my nigerian doe is giving me 3 cups in one milking (I only milk her once a day as the kids nurse all day long). My other nigerian is giving aprox 2 cups (I milk one cup and let one of her quads nurse the other side as she was rejected and can only nurse when I hold a doe for her )

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :slapfloor: My hubby is such a "city slicker", I've put well many guineas in the freezer, he loves the "pot pie", but he doesn't want to involved in the "deadly deed".

I think if you raise animals, unless you are incredible consciencious about finding pet homes, (and I know some of your are, so don't misunderstand, I deeply respect that), you should be able to put your extra animals on the table. I was at a farm auction recently to see what the facility for selling goats was. I told my hubby I'd slaughter them myself before I'd send them through that place. And not that it was particularly bad...I could tell they were very scared, though. I think a humane end is much better then any time spent in fear for our little guys. One of my boys is headed to a special family fathers day where he will be a "special treat" for their Dad, who is from Puerto Rico, and used to eating Chevon. I'm proud of that. And he's been well treated and will be well treated until the end. JMO

So, that said, very pretty goats! And she doesn't look skinny on the photo, but maybe different in person.

16. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You're right, its terribly important to insure your animals go to a good home, and like you said, I'd rather put one of my chickens or goats (or anything else!) in the freezer before I sent them off to live somewhere unsavory.

I felt Hope all over, and her bones are no longer sticking out, though I like to feel a bit more padding on my animals than that, but then again, I've also read that she is a decent weight for a dairy goat. Guess I'm just used to my slightly plump little dogs!

:wink:

Both are doing great, and today Uno came right up to me and let me rub him all over, and I didn't even have a goodie. I was apprehensive that he would never be a tame goat, but looks like I worried for nothing.

:stars:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats are not suppose to have a lot of padding - it is unhealthy for them.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You should be able to feel her ribs and spine....they shouldn't be "jutting" out though...healthy is happy and active...too fat can lead to birthing problems as well as general ill health. A "healthy layer" still lets you feel the "spines" of her spine and ribs without her being under weight. And with a wether, you will find that they can and will get too fat if you don't manage their rations...as long as he has good hay and browse and a good mineral he will need little or no grain. :)

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

by the looks of her i would say she is at least half pygmy, not sure what the other half is. She may be bred. But i dont think she looks like she is. Definatly not barbaric to put goats into the frweezer. goat meat is really good for you, and i have heard quite tasty. I have yet to try it though.
    beth