The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first goat from a lady about 2 months ago. She is an American Alpine, already in milk, wormed and shots up to date. She's 10 years old.

Everything had been wonderful. The lady who raised her only milked once a day and so u have been doing the same. 2 quarts every day, until 2 days ago.
The past two days she is giving 1 quart. Her poop is clumpy. She lays down a lot. She is eating her grain, hay, and grazing just fine, but she will lay diwn a few times when grazing. She is panting. She seems in a daze and is very lovey on me.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, posting from my phone. Forgot to add that the lady did have a buck which she offered as a stud when fall arrives. Possible she could have been bred I guess.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm no expert but the first thing I would do is take her temp... She might be pregnant, but I have two 5 year old does that are expecting and neither of them has shown those symptoms, although they are younger.... Maybe also try a BoSe shot... I just learned about them and would like to get some for my herd for just incase. It' vitamin B12 and Selenium... Again, I'm no expert, I've learned a ton in my year of having goats...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe she was having some off days. I don't know. Her poop is normal now and she's acting fine. Weird.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There will be times when you can't figure out what's wrong but are relieved when it seems to go away on it's own. The problem is, you don't learn anything for the future from these episodes unless you analyze them some.
Sounds like an upset stomach. At her age she may have a touchy gut. She may also be drying off. When's the last time she kidded? A normal lactation is 5 months, but some goats can milk through for years without being bred. Changes in diet? Are you giving her grain? Maybe too much? Or not enough? While it's unlikely this time of year with a dairy breed, she might have had a late heat. I've seen some lactating does increase their milk supply during heats, and others whose production drops for a few days.

·
8,393 Posts
There will be times when you can't figure out what's wrong but are relieved when it seems to go away on it's own. The problem is, you don't learn anything for the future from these episodes unless you analyze them some.
Sounds like an upset stomach. At her age she may have a touchy gut. She may also be drying off. When's the last time she kidded? A normal lactation is 5 months, but some goats can milk through for years without being bred. Changes in diet? Are you giving her grain? Maybe too much? Or not enough? While it's unlikely this time of year with a dairy breed, she might have had a late heat. I've seen some lactating does increase their milk supply during heats, and others whose production drops for a few days.
Actually, a normal lactation (milking) would be 10 months. A pregnancy is 5 months, but I figure that is what you meant to say! :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
She lays down a lot. She is eating her grain, hay, and grazing just fine, but she will lay diwn a few times when grazing. She is panting. She seems in a daze and is very lovey on me.

Any ideas?
What are your daytime temps? Is she disbudded/dehorned? What is in your pasture? Could be heat, or it could be she got into something in the pasture that didn't agree with her. Panting is usually a sign of heat, over-exertion, or difficulty breathing. Did you happen to notice if her left side was higher than normal or distended? Is there alfalfa or clover in your pasture?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The particular day was mid 80s. She browses the yard, there is a lot of clover and various trees. I immediately thought bloat. Her left side was not swollen, both sides were. She wouldn't take soda and she wouldn't drink water. Her sides were noticeably smaller that next day. I really wish I knew what made her that way so I can avoid it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Something she browsed made her gassy.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Actually, a normal lactation (milking) would be 10 months. A pregnancy is 5 months, but I figure that is what you meant to say! :)
Yup. I know the literature all says the average lactation is 10 months, but never understood how that factors into an annual breeding cycle. The way I figure it for my own purposes, as an ideal scenario is this: 5 months pregnant, bred when dry. Say November-March typically for me. 5 months in milk nursing babies and being milked; typically April-August. 2 month dry down period and you're back to November. 12 months. I like my does good and dry when they're bred and mine are very hard to dry off. Not that it always happens that way.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The particular day was mid 80s. She browses the yard, there is a lot of clover and various trees. I immediately thought bloat. Her left side was not swollen, both sides were. She wouldn't take soda and she wouldn't drink water. Her sides were noticeably smaller that next day. I really wish I knew what made her that way so I can avoid it.
Until you can figure out what is causing the problem, you might consider putting out a bloat block for her.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
some goats do not handle heat well...I have a few who will be very lathargic in 80+ weather...pant alot...If you take her temp during this time it may be high..do not be tempted to start antibiotics right away...get her into shade and offer fresh cool water with a bit of molasses to encourage her to drink..then in the PM when temps ar lower and sun has gone down..retake her temp...if its still high..then treat..Keep her on daiy B complex to help with the stress..probios to keep flora up..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts