The Goat Spot Forum banner

Pregnant Pygmy doe unsure of due date

33K views 529 replies 32 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Good morning fellow goat lovers! I have a ff doe that’s looking to be kidding any day now. I’m unsure of her due date because we kept her in with our buck until we suspected pregnancy. This morning she is very mushy in the hind end, ligaments are barely there but she’s done this before too. Then went back to hard again. She has lost some mucous about a week and a half ago, but no more that I’ve noticed. I check on her every couple hours because I’m a nervous first time goat midwife lol Beulah is her name. She is normally very affectionate and loves attention no matter where I pet her. Last week she wanted me to scratch her all over and the last couple days, she won’t let me touch her belly or check her ligs and udder. But I make her stay still to check. There seems to be decreased kid movement, but still kicking at times. Her vulva is VERY swollen and looks open when she brings her hind leg up to itch her ear. I guess I’m just curious what you all think. I’m such a worry wart because Beulah is so small. She’s a year old and her legs are only about 8-10 inches long. Her belly practically drags on the ground now. I feel like I need to be there to help her if she needs me and want to try to estimate when that will be. Thank you in advance for any help.

#2 ·
I first thought she was pregnant around a month ago when I noticed her vulva was swollen. And we kept saying, wow looks like Beulah is getting fat! And then I started feeling baby kicks when I was petting her. We put her in her own pen 3 weeks ago because our buck was being too aggressive sexually and didn’t want him to hurt her or the kids. She seems very healthy with no visible concerns, other than she’s so small. She’s been licking and biting her sides and even pulling hair out near her back end. What she can reach anyways because her belly is so big. She looks like she’s dropped the last couple days too. Her udder has filled some, but isn’t tight or shiny. I’m pretty sure she tried to “mount” me the other day too. She was licking and jumped up on me with her front legs and was making weird noises. That’s a new behavior for sure. Lots of yawning and stretching and laying around. She’s still eating too.

Attachments

#9 ·
Oh I'm in the barn more than I'm in the house lol seriously. I go to check on her every two hours or so and usually end up sitting with her for about an hour, scratching her and watching her behavior. She's such a sweet girl [emoji173]️
I'm in the same boat. I'm so impatient. I just want poppy to have her babies already. She's so small. She's wider than she is tall lol

#10 ·
I am very impatient as well. Add being a first time pregnant goat owner and you’ve got a total basket case! I’m driving myself nuts lol it’s only because I strive to take the best care of my animals and it would break my heart if anything happened because I wasn’t there to help if needed. I love these darn goats like they’re my own children.

#11 ·
FF can start building a little udder 6 weeks prior to kidding. Watch her udder for any major changes but really watch it because it can be fine in the morning and be boom by that night lol. However FF are usually pretty gradual about their building. Not always though. I also watch for change in behavior. Most of my goats get clingy with me when in labor. I had one that would yell for me every time I went inside the day she was in labor. They will stand off by themselves and stare(not chewing cud) just a very lost in space type of look. It will literally drive you insane. I’m currently there lol.

#13 ·
FF can start building a little udder 6 weeks prior to kidding. Watch her udder for any major changes but really watch it because it can be fine in the morning and be boom by that night lol. However FF are usually pretty gradual about their building. Not always though. I also watch for change in behavior. Most of my goats get clingy with me when in labor. I had one that would yell for me every time I went inside the day she was in labor. They will stand off by themselves and stare(not chewing cud) just a very lost in space type of look. It will literally drive you insane. I'm currently there lol.
I've been watching her like a hawk and she's displayed all those signs for a couple weeks now. The spacey day dreamy look and I've caught her pressing her head against the wall twice but no visible contractions. She's always been kind of a vocal girl. She always yells for me when I walk away lol she's spoiled.

#15 ·
Good morning fellow goat lovers! I have a ff doe that's looking to be kidding any day now. I'm unsure of her due date because we kept her in with our buck until we suspected pregnancy. This morning she is very mushy in the hind end, ligaments are barely there but she's done this before too. Then went back to hard again. She has lost some mucous about a week and a half ago, but no more that I've noticed. I check on her every couple hours because I'm a nervous first time goat midwife lol Beulah is her name. She is normally very affectionate and loves attention no matter where I pet her. Last week she wanted me to scratch her all over and the last couple days, she won't let me touch her belly or check her ligs and udder. But I make her stay still to check. There seems to be decreased kid movement, but still kicking at times. Her vulva is VERY swollen and looks open when she brings her hind leg up to itch her ear. I guess I'm just curious what you all think. I'm such a worry wart because Beulah is so small. She's a year old and her legs are only about 8-10 inches long. Her belly practically drags on the ground now. I feel like I need to be there to help her if she needs me and want to try to estimate when that will be. Thank you in advance for any help.
Do you have any photos. She is likely getting close but without an EDD it could be hours or days/weeks

You know her better than anyone, so sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

Edited to add: I see all the other comments and photos now that I commented. But the other part still applies :)

#20 ·
#23 ·
I'll add: surgical gloves, or even clean dishwashing gloves to catch the wet newborn.
Wet wipes are nice for quick clean ups and something to wipe newborn's nose and face off.
Also, clip your fingernails really short. Its dangerous if you have to "go in" to check of
straigthen out a stuck kid and milking with nail doesn't work, either! (for me, anyway!)

Happy kidding!

#35 ·
I was just out checking on Beulah and took her some warm molasses water. I noticed her standing in the corner of her pen staring at the wall. She would then walk around and rub her side all along the pen fence and then jump up onto the fence with her front legs. Her vulva OPENED up and then she got down and tightened up her back and yawned and stretched while bleating softly. She did this several times. And then went to eating her grain. Brat lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.