The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have you got your kidding supplies ready yet? Sounds like it shouldn't be many more days, or a week. Have you got a birthing stall ready? A partial kidding kit list would be: iodine and a small medicine bottle for dipping the cords, towels for drying off the newborns, a bulb syringe in case you need to help clear the airway, a heating lamp for the newborns to get under for warmth if it's cold weather, an old blanket to lay down to cover the wetness from the birthing fluids to keep yourself dry, selenium & vitamin E gel for the newborns, a thermometer, and a phone and the number of the vet and/or someone experienced in birthing in case there are problems. There are more things that could be added to the kidding kit (a prepacked tote with a lid), as I've seen lists longer than what has been mentioned.

There is this thing called the Doe Code. You may be told about it by some of the other members. It's all in fun, not really anything to be concerned over. Just observations about pregnant does and their individual approaches to the birthing process expressed in a joking way.
Oh yes, Beulah is already in a kidding pen we built three weeks ago. She had a heating lamp and fresh everything. I have a kit all set to go when she starts active labor. I'm pacing the floors now without reason lol it still could be days. Time will tell. The doe code thing is cute and so true! I've been afraid to leave for too long because I just know she'll kid as soon as I leave lol

·
8,175 Posts
I'll add: surgical gloves, or even clean dishwashing gloves to catch the wet newborn.
Wet wipes are nice for quick clean ups and something to wipe newborn's nose and face off.
Also, clip your fingernails really short. Its dangerous if you have to "go in" to check of
straigthen out a stuck kid and milking with nail doesn't work, either! (for me, anyway!)

Happy kidding!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My nails are already short. Farm life lol but yeah I have a kit all ready for kids when they arrive. I’ve read every article I could find online about kidding and Pygmy goat pregnancy. I swear I’ve watched every video on YouTube lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
for sure keep a close eye on her then? Do you have a camera hooked out there? I love my cheapo wifi camera lol.
I'm in the barn every two hours or less to check on her. I'm hooking up a camera tomorrow to be able to see her and hear her 24/7. It's going to be so nice to not be freezing all day every day in the barn lol

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Thank you very much for finding and reposting this. (highfive)
You're welcome. It was easy, I've got it book marked lol :). To make things worse, I Actually I have a framed copy of it in my barn so those Darn does know, that I know, what they're up to.
Those stinkers STILL find a way to make me pull my hair out.
I think the worst is when they lay completely flat and " dead goat" it'll stop your heart every time lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You're welcome. It was easy, I've got it book marked lol :). To make things worse, I Actually I have a framed copy of it in my barn so those Darn does know, that I know, what they're up to.
Those stinkers STILL find a way to make me pull my hair out.
I think the worst is when they lay completely flat and " dead goat" it'll stop your heart every time lol.
I'd have a heart attack on the spot lol that would freak me out! I've never seen either of my goats lay flat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well there was one change...her ligaments are stiff again. Yesterday I could hardly feel them and my fingers just about wrapped around her tail head. Today they’re stiff and very noticeable. This girl has already grown several gray hairs in my head!! Ugh

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I was just out checking on Beulah and took her some warm molasses water. I noticed her standing in the corner of her pen staring at the wall. She would then walk around and rub her side all along the pen fence and then jump up onto the fence with her front legs. Her vulva OPENED up and then she got down and tightened up her back and yawned and stretched while bleating softly. She did this several times. And then went to eating her grain. Brat lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ps...she peed and pooped 3 times in about 15 minutes. And she stayed squatted down after peeing for about 20-30 seconds. She wasn’t pushing, just squatting.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I've read the doe will sometimes engage in these type of stretching poses to help get the kids into a birthing position. She sounds as if she is getting everything situated. Keep an eye on her udder. Do not let her get wind of the contents of the doe code whatever you do. :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah she’s been doing the stretching stuff for about a month now. But now her udder is starting to fill up and her behavior is changing. She’s not so eager for petting as she used to be. And she won’t let me touch her belly or udder at all. I have to pin her head between my legs to touch.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Sort of like the way some women in various stages of pregnancy will place protective hands onto her abdomen. That motion is an unconscious act meant as a signal for others to respect the personal space of the unborn child.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So I had baby monitors given to me today and we set them up in the barn. We can watch and hear what’s going on, so no more unnecessary trips to the barn! Yay! If I see or hear anything unusual I can go check. I’ll also be out twice a day no matter what, feeding and dealing with frozen water situations. So I’ll do my physical check on her when I’m doing that stuff. This makes me feel so much better. What a worry saving device!

21 - 40 of 530 Posts