Pregnant Pygmy doe unsure of due date

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lindsay1983, Jan 29, 2021.

1. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    I've got a first timer due in 13 days who has also had a completely obscene vulva for the last month! It's hard to look at, she looks like she's gonna prolapse!

I am also feeling a sense you are going to have babies on the ground imminently!

2. Lindsay1983

Lindsay1983 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    I sure hope so!!

CecilandNellie likes this.

3. CecilandNellie

CecilandNellie Kalopa Mauka

Aug 16, 2014
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I have had 3 kiddings since you started watching! I donʻt have another due until March 10. Beulah needs to get finished before then! The recent pictures look like sheʻs very close. Sending good wishes for an easy delivery and cute kids.

GoofyGoat and Lindsay1983 like this.
  4. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    Wow that’s awesome! I hope all went well for you. I wish she would hurry up and have those babies!!

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
  6. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
  7. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Wow - every day I think, “Today will probably be the day!” And then she’s still holding on to them! Little stinker. Lol

8. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
  9. CecilandNellie

Aug 16, 2014
    Big Island, Hawaii
    One of these nights you will be too tired to watch the camera. Then, after a good sleep you will look at the screen and see babies and all will be well. (zzz)

10. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    That wouldn’t surprise me a bit!! What a bittersweet moment that would be! I’d be bummed I missed the birth, but happy it’s over with healthy kids. She’s a big as a house. She’s starting to grunt when she gets up and down. Her prolapse seems a little worse today. It’s very very swollen. I worry it will come out when she kids. Yikes!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  11. CecilandNellie

Aug 16, 2014
    Big Island, Hawaii
    No expert, but the picture does not look like a prolapse, just nice swollen vulva getting ready (sometimes takes a while) to open up for the kids. I think the prolapse comes after the kids (and you hope it does not come), when the doe has worked too hard to get them out. There is another thread with a picture, it is like the uterus is inside out. I think the swollen vulva is normal (mine due 3/10 is swelling now), and you may see a big wet bubble before each kid (maybe). I posted a pic on this thread of the kidʻs head visible in the bubble, but often you just see the bubble a while before you see a nose (always hope for a nose!). Anyway, you are doing fine, watching her all the time is the best. Remember to sleep some, too.

Feira426 and Lindsay1983 like this.
  12. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    Even though it’s been like that since early January? The last few days it has been worse, but it’s been pretty large her whole pregnancy. Maybe it’s just her normal. This is her ff so I have no idea what to expect from her. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

13. CecilandNellie

Aug 16, 2014
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Like I said, I am not an expert! When I was working at the dairy, we usually had 10-12 girls in the pasture designated to kid within a month. Every day before we left we walked out there to check, we were observing tail ligaments, belly dropping, udder filling, breathing, discharge, location (several places they like to hide), but I donʻt remember really watching for vulva changes. I think that is because it was so random. With my own I am with them several times a day, the signs I really pay attention to are the body shape changes and behavior.

Lindsay1983 likes this.
  14. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Active Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    My pregnant girls are SO different. Shamrock’s udder has been slowly enlarging (and sometimes doubling in size) for about a month. Her vulva is getting puffy and there’s occasional wetness. About a month in, she started driving Blizzard away on sight. Now she avoids any confrontation and lazes around. She’s been licking my hand and making this really sweet face the past few days. Today, she’s been licking her side a lot. Acts like she can barely breathe when she lays down. Her sister (born in this world together, brought to their new home together❤️) is like 10 days apart in pregnancy and is showing ZERO change except she’s getting wider, paying more attention to the younger girls, and acting occasionally bucky. If it weren’t for how wide she is and that I don’t feel her body developing “fatness” features, I’d think she wasn’t pregnant! I mean I saw Cowboy mounting her side...I was worried he didn’t know how. LOL. But she’s also never come in to heat again...I’ve walked her around with our bucks when I thought she might have been in heat to see if they take an interest, and they always dismiss her.

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

16. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    No ma’am

17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Really , that goat is stubborn...I keep checking ....tell your girl it’s time to show everyone those kids!

18. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    It’s been over 7 weeks since I found out she was pregnant. And I could feel kid kicks then. She started building her udder about 5-6 weeks ago. Her poor vulva has been huge throughout all that time as well. She’s gotta be ready to pop any time now you’d think. It really stinks not knowing an at least estimated due date.

19. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Active Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    If you knew exactly when she was bred, she could still be 15 days over her due date. Or early. It’s a fun waiting game we have no control over, right? Ready to panic at any moment. Shamrock might beat your doe and have her kids first! Haha. She has like 9 days left to her estimated date. It’s really cool watching her udder fill out. My household is crazy enough to have them in the garage, so it’s very easy to check on the girls.

Garnet-the-goat and Lindsay1983 like this.
  20. Lindsay1983

Jan 28, 2021
    Michigan
    Yeah I have a camera hooked up so I can watch Beulah 24/7. Very thankful for that lol I’m just ready to have it over with for her sake mostly. She’s so uncomfortable. And I’m impatient ugh

Garnet-the-goat likes this.