The Goat Spot Forum banner

461 - 480 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Make sure the head is forward, nose first. When she contracts, you're going to have to help her. Grab those legs and PULL. Use a towel or something to hold onto her if you need to. If you can't get the baby out, you're going to have to call and get the vet out
Very good advice. You can do this. If you can get her back legs up on something so she is facing downward a bit, it can give you a bit of extra room/looseness to work. I recommend you call the vet now if you can - give them time to get there - you can always cancel the call!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
798C1DF8-C08D-4060-BDF3-AD5F884561CE.jpeg
ED2A142D-05F9-4A3D-AB38-9AF8313AC1AD.jpeg
I'm too upset and tired right now to tell the full story, but Beulah is no longer with us and I have one baby buckling that's alive and seems to be doing well. There was nothing the vet could do after the csection. Beulah faded fast. I'm devastated to say the least. There was just the one buckling. One single baby in that huge belly. He's humongous for how small Beulah was too. But he's still so teeny tiny. He weighs a little over a pound and a half. I was able to get all of Beulahs colostrum to feed him. She had over 7 ounces. I'll give more of an update when I get some rest. I'm exhausted. Thank you all again. My dog has adopted the buckling and is helping take good care of him, cleaning him and watching closely. He's up and alert and fed. Temp is good. He seems perfectly fine but I won't get my hopes up. I thought he was dead when he was pulled out. He was completely lifeless. It took a lot to get him out from inside. His front legs are weak from us pulling so hard for so long. That seems to be the only issue. Not a big deal though. I'll wrap them up soon.

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
He looks sturdy. So sorry about Beulah, that is so difficult and you put so much time and love into her and her pregnancy. I lost a doe last week, big overdue buckling (11 pounds maybe). I feel so sad for you, sending hugs. Take good care of that baby and donʻt give up on goats.(console)

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Oh no, I am so sorry. :(

Congrats on the cute baby.

Sometimes loss happens to all of us, I almost gave up as well, a few times, but see the beautiful life we are given.
And say well, I think I will be OK and care for the life I now have before me.
Hang in there, we all have been through the bad and yes it is not easy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
He’s a demanding little guy already lol he won’t take a bottle but he sucks on my fingers with no problem. He seems to think my male dog has a teat he can suckle too hahaha and Petie doesn’t seem to mind the extra attention (eeeww) I’ve got baby in a laundry basket with a heating pad on low under blankets so he doesn’t get burnt. He has a full belly and is sleeping now. When should he have his first poop?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
:angel::upset::imsorry:

@Lindsay1983 my dear sweet goat momma. Beulah has crossed the rainbow. She knew you were with her right up to the very last. She knew you would take her gift and give him everything she had. You are a strong lady. A strong heart. Look after the little guy. He now needs his hoooommmaaann momma. I know Beulah would have been a wonderful mom to him too.
Sending you all the hugs and love we can from South Africa.

He is beautiful.

He should be pooping very soon. Some gooiy black stuff

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm soo soooo sorry for your loss. I know first hand how devastating this is as that was the outcome of my first kidding experience last year. Huge love and hugs to you. Rest in peace, sweet mama Beulah. I'm sooo glad you were able to get some help saving that beautiful boy. You did amazing, please know that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
21408E87-17A8-451D-8962-6D5DB4FDDAFF.jpeg
543A70FE-3D84-4966-8BF6-AA6967244C0E.jpeg
It was a long night, but we all made it through. Little guy is doing great. He's one hungry and strong little buckling! He's got the screaming and bump and suck DOWN lol he has already eaten all of the colostrum I was able to milk from Beulah. He has also had a poop. It was black. Is it ok to start him on whole cows milk now? Or should I give him colostrum replacer for a couple days? Gosh I don't know what I'd do without this site and all of you amazing people! I appreciate all of your help immensely! Thank you!

461 - 480 of 530 Posts