The Goat Spot Forum banner

481 - 500 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Oh what a night you had! Big hugs to you, I am very sad with you.
I am so very glad the vet came and saved the little guy. He sure is a cutie!
I am not sure about the colostrum situation. I would think seeing as he had some, to move on to milk, rather than replacer, but let some experienced people answer that.
@GoofyGoat @happybleats

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am so sorry you lost her. Maybe that’s why she didn’t have him for so long. You had borrowed time to love her. What bad luck though to lose your girl first kidding! He really is a beautiful little buckling. I hope he has enough personality to help you over the loss of his mom and keep his father company when he’s older. It sounds like he’s helping you through this. I REALLY hope he doesn’t throw you any curveballs! Fingers crossed he stays in good health!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know you’ve gotten plenty of messages like this, so I hate to keep bringing it back up, but I truly am sorry for your loss. You did all that you could, and you did an amazing job for dealing with what you had. Make sure to take time for yourself when you get the chance, keep yourself taken care of as well as that beautiful baby.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Yes, start him on whole milk warmed to 101* with a pinch (1/8th teaspoon) in the first bottle of the day. Make sure HIS temp is above 100* before each feeding .
Weigh him and multiply his weight by 16 (put weight into ounces)
Divide the weight by 10 (%) then divide by the number of feedings (6-8 for the first week)
Make sure his belly is firm and flat...he’ll holler for more but he’ll be fine, don’t give in or you can wind up with bigger problems.
He’s a handsome little guy, and I’m sure you’ll do great as a surrogate mum? Hang in there, we’re here to support you.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Oh goodness..jes a doll!! Im very sorry you lost mama. I remind myself when I lost one that this too will pass and farm life will go forward. ((Hugs))

I agree with Goofy goats...^^

·
8,067 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I won't send my tears as you've shed enough of your own. But, my heart broke when I caught up with your story. (was not on here yesterday). Nothing anyone says will make your loss easier, but your little guy will help smooth over the raw agony, a little.

(grouphug)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, I personally would start him on whole cow's milk now, with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day. I'm definitely not a pro but I had four bottle babies last year and that's what I did. There are some great feeding charts online that outline how many ounces you should feed per feeding depending upon weight so you don't overfeed or under feed. If you can't find it, let me know and I will track it down and post it for you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
Thank you all. I’ve started him on whole milk. I’ll put the baking soda in his next bottle. I’ve been feeding him about 2-3 ounces every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. He tells me when he’s hungry, believe me lol
How many times do I put baking soda in his bottles? Every time I make one? Or once a day? Or a couple times a day? I have no idea. Also, he has only pooped once so far. It was a black shiny turd. It wasn’t runny at all. It also wasn’t hard, but like a normal dog turd. His belly feels good. Not hard, not squishy. I think the feedings are agreeing with him.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Oh sorry, I reread that and saw to put it in the first bottle of the day. I’m exhausted and feel like a zombie just going through the motions. Once again, I’m so glad I have the help of all y’all. ❤

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
Sorry...also wanted to tell you guys that his little legs are better today too. He’s walking much better. I think we stretched his little tendons when we were trying to pulling him out of Beulah. He was walking on his ankles last night and very wobbly. But today he’s standing on hooves and walking much much better. I’m thinking about wrapping his legs with ace bandages for a day or two. What do ya think?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’m no expert at all on kid issues (bout to have my 2nd kidding season), but I would not rap them. In my experience kids seem to hop back pretty fast when it comes to leg injuries. I had one sprain his leg one time and it took a week but he was fine. He is a precious little boy!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Thank you all. I've started him on whole milk. I'll put the baking soda in his next bottle. I've been feeding him about 2-3 ounces every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. He tells me when he's hungry, believe me lol
How many times do I put baking soda in his bottles? Every time I make one? Or once a day? Or a couple times a day? I have no idea. Also, he has only pooped once so far. It was a black shiny turd. It wasn't runny at all. It also wasn't hard, but like a normal dog turd. His belly feels good. Not hard, not squishy. I think the feedings are agreeing with him.
The baking soda is in the first bottle of the day.
He will act like he's starving but DO NOT let him go more than 12% of his body weight in the formula I gave you in an earlier post. He won't starve I promise! There's a disease called floppy kid that kills from over feeding. It's most often found in bottle fed kids and moms who have too much milk.
Just feed till his tummy is flat and firm.
You're doing great! Hang In there!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Lindsay I feel like you are my soul sister. We are kindred spirits and I just wanna give you this huge hug because I know exactly what your feeling and it's horrible. I'm pretty sure I would be the big sister because I'm older so I just wanna make you feel better. I'm so sorry love.
I appreciate that so much and I'm hugging you back so tightly!! I'm happy we have each other to lean on while coping with our losses. ❤

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
image.jpg
image.jpg
8E17A6E6-B8EB-4316-AB55-437AAC080DB1.jpeg
Benny is doing so great! He knows I'm his mama now and he follows me everywhere. He's starting to figure his little legs out and kick around a bit. So cute!! He thinks he's always hungry, he's constantly butting me for a bottle lol but I'm sticking to our 2-3 ounces a feeding every 4hrs. He's doing very well with that schedule. And he lets me know when it's been the 4 hours lol he slept pretty good last night. I fell asleep around midnight or so and Benny didn't wake me up til 6:30. So that was a nice sleep for me. I needed that badly. It's been a rough couple days but we're finding our rhythm. Baby Benny is so loved.

481 - 500 of 530 Posts