The Goat Spot Forum banner

521 - 530 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
The math for how much to feed was given earlier... but you might have missed it.
Weigh him and multiply his weight by 16 (to put weight into ounces)
Divide the weight in oz. by 10 (%) then divide again by the number of feedings (6-8 for the first week)
So given his last weight-
4 lbs * 16 = 64
64/10 = 6.4 ??

huh???

@GoofyGoat- check that math please,... because something doesn't seem right. By the way I'm figuring it, she'd be feeding an ounce or less per feeding and that can't be right... can it? :confused:

Oh yes absolutely. He's not pooping enough I don't think. He hasn't pooped since yesterday morning and it was already little orange pellets. Not hard, not soft, but like little grape clusters. If he doesn't go after his feeding at 11, I'll give him an enema.
Lindsay, I've seen it suggested by the gurus here that you can give a little milk of magnesia as a laxative. I have no idea how much for sure... perhaps a teaspoon to start??

You can also use Miralax (saw that on the incredible Dr. Pol). For me that's more of a longer term solution, but it could also just be used occasionally. It's not absorbed by the gut-the molecules are too large- it just prevents too much water from being removed in the colon, thus making the stool easier to pass.
If you decide to use Miralax, it's gonna be a bit of trial and error, you could start with 1/4 teaspoon in 2 of his bottles each day, and increase (or decrease) slightly until you get it just right. You can't overdose, since it's not absorbed.

You could do a mineral oil enema but do NOT give mineral oil orally, because baby can aspirate the oil & get it in their lungs.... bad.
Might wanna save an enema for if nothing else is really helping... idk, I think of enemas as more of a last ditch option.

Try to take care of yourself... just like with a real baby, you gotta sleep when they do.

Did the vet give Benny any BoSe or selenium when he was born?
Often weakness in legs can be a symptom of a selenium deficiency.

I'm sorry you lost the mama... (console) Sounds like Benny was too big for her, or had gotten wedged in too firmly to get him adjusted. There's nothing can be done other than c-section at that point. But goats don't usually do too well with c-sections, sadly. :oops:

All I can say is love Benny, cry & then cry some more, and eventually you'll have a day where you realize you didn't cry that day, but you laughed a lot at silly little Benny. :inlove: Then you'll know it's time to make decisions about the future...

He is a cutie, that's for sure! I'll keep you & the little guy in my prayers.

Good luck!

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Giving a teaspoon of mom would be completely not the right thing to do. Just give him a few drops of kero white syrup on your finger and, if he needs more milk then give it to him working it up slowly of course.
I didn't read through the thread, if you're feeding cow's milk he needs a tiny pinch of baking soda in the morning bottle.
If his stool continues to be hard then add 1 tablespoon of unflavored Greek yogurt per 4 ounces of milk.
The yogurt will help break the curd up for him.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Oh, he's soooo cute!

I'm so sorry about your Beulah, Lindsay - I've had a horse emergency I've been dealing with the last couple of days and I just got on today to catch up on the thread. That's so hard. My very first kidding we had a huge single buckling that got stuck backwards coming out. I was new to goats. I hadn't joined the forum here yet, and I didn't know what to do. Eventually I managed to get him turned around, and I pulled him out. I saved my doe but we lost our very first kid. It was really hard - I imagine it's even harder for you, as you lost a goat you already knew and loved. We only lost a baby we'd never met.

I hope you can take some comfort in the little kid's company, and in knowing you really tried very, very hard to help Beulah through this. Your efforts would put a lot of people to shame, and she certainly didn't suffer from any lack of help on your part.

Sometimes we do our very best but it's just beyond us. I really hope you can find peace with that, and move forward and continue being the amazing person you obviously are, whether you decide to try again with goats or not.
Thank you so much for such kind words. Warmed my heart and made me feel better. ❤

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
CABBF983-2A54-442D-80FE-E7CA92C0DC5F.jpeg
6CEF686B-0130-42EC-AECD-7843E85AB596.jpeg

How are you doing, Lindsay? How's the little guy?
Hello, I'm doing ok. Benny is doing GREAT! He's gaining weight daily and chunking right out. He's playful and bouncy and fun! But a lot of work! It's been quite the experience having a kid in my house. We've cornered off a section in our living room for him to play and live. He loves sleeping in my dogs kennel, and pees A LOT! Lol! I'm taking him to meet his (possibly) new family on Thursday. They're very excited to meet him. If he stays there, I'll miss him but he will have a wonderful home with people that will love him and take very good care of him. I've requested that they do lots of research about goats and kid care. I want them to be very well aware of how much dedication and love it takes to raise a bottle fed kid. They seem up to the challenge, so we'll see. Thank you for asking about me, I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
05930831-01C8-467F-BA1C-4D856B439EC4.jpeg
2BA0894E-528A-46BF-92FF-E2556F9E1377.jpeg
Benny went outside for the first time today. It was 50! So beautiful! He wasn't sure what to think about being outside lol I don't think he quite enjoyed the feeling of cold wet grass on his little hooves. He's so stinking cute! My dog wants to play with him so badly, but he's a little too rough still. Benny is just so small and I worry he will hurt him playing.

521 - 530 of 530 Posts