The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I'd have a heart attack on the spot lol that would freak me out! I've never seen either of my goats lay flat.
My doe Tonks did it to me a couple times one time I ran out to the barn barefoot and in nothing but a tshirt and undies (we have no close neighbors) the worst part it was 20* out and slushy. When I got to the barn she looked at me like I disturbed her nap and she wasn't at all pleased lol.
Here's what I saw in my camera that got me running...darn goat!

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Oh that would have me running too!! How scary! My goats NEVER lay flat like that. Glad she’s ok! I tell ya, I’m so very happy to be in my warm house watching live barn video. It’s so reassuring. My nerves are finally starting to calm down some lol

·
8,175 Posts
You don't really need to handle the udder right now, it might be really sensitive. One subtle sign of labor and pain is yawning. A lot of periodic yawning. Goats don't show pain signs usually. (its a survival thing).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
All I do is just cup my hand on it for a second to see if it’s gotten bigger because I can’t see it. She’s pretty hairy right now because of her winter fur. I won’t shave her, it’s too cold out. She’s been yawning quite a bit these last few days. As well as lots and lots of stretching and positioning.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
8036F618-E153-45D1-B5FA-3FF331218B49.jpeg
Beulah is wider than she is tall. Poor girl is laying around a lot now. Getting up to eat and drink and potty and stretch. I didn't sleep well last night because I was waking up every hour (not by alarm) to watch her on the camera lol

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That flat out hard sleep? Every goat has to do that once a day. It's their actual sleep period. If you haven't seen them yet they are probably doing it in the pasture or when you're not watching. They must sleep hard for 20 minutes. They take turns so that there's always another goat watching.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I was watching the barn cam and witnessed a spew of liquid shoot out of Beulahs vulva...it looked like she pushed it out. So I went running to the barn to check on her and watched her have two contractions a couple minutes apart and then nothing for 20 minutes so I came back inside to watch where it’s warm. I can’t feel her ligaments either. And she’s being super affectionate again. So hopefully today!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That flat out hard sleep? Every goat has to do that once a day. It's their actual sleep period. If you haven't seen them yet they are probably doing it in the pasture or when you're not watching. They must sleep hard for 20 minutes. They take turns so that there's always another goat watching.
They must do it when I'm not looking lol because I've had my goats for only a year but I've never seen them lay flat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I’m watching from inside my house on a camera monitor. I can see everything she’s doing crystal clear. I can’t take my eyes off it lol thank you!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
These are my "kids" lol Bucky and Beulah. I think they're both cross breeds of Nigerian dwarf and Pygmy. But not certain. What do you guys think?
347D6478-1EE4-450A-A0C8-D141C6049A7C.jpeg
347D6478-1EE4-450A-A0C8-D141C6049A7C.jpeg
F97A816A-AC8D-4DB6-9A10-107AFA1D28FD.jpeg
D109F0BB-4318-4B49-A9A5-E97749B7BD06.jpeg

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
With those short little legs And wide girth I'd say more pigmy all my nigies are longer and leaner. They're adorable though :)
I'm thinking that with Beulah but Bucky is a little more lean and a lot taller. So I'm unsure about him but I'll absolutely take your word for it.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I'm thinking that with Beulah but Bucky is a little more lean and a lot taller. So I'm unsure about him but I'll absolutely take your word for it.
The best way to tell is DNA TESTING you can send it in to a lot of different places. I believe you just yank out about 50 hairs with the roots attached to find out but don't quote me lol. I haven't sent mine in yet now that the ADGA is starting to require it for bucks I'll have to soon.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Bucky looks primarily Nigerian Dwarf just from the horns, cape and beard. A full picture of him would be nice, just so I could see the whole package. And we like looking at pictures around here.

How old is Beulah? She may still be growing and could gain more height yet.

Happy kidding and sending wishes for a easy birthing to Beulah. No doubt you'll do a fine job as midwife if Beulah allows you to assist. Don't take it personal if she wants some alone time. If she wants you there, relax, go with her rhythm and savor every moment.
:storkboy::storkgirl:

41 - 60 of 530 Posts