The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and picked this girl up from mimzidoat on Friday. She was bought at a livestock sale for meat, except she doesn't have any! The only weight on her is baby :( She's very far along - udder is filling, ligs are slacking, pooch is puffy. No discharge yet. Baby is VERY active. I'm thinking she'll go within the week, willing to take bets on what day!

Pictures don't really show how skinny she is; she's pretty much skin and bones. Her belly has filled in a little so I think her rumen is working well. Could use suggestions on what I can give her to help her and baby as much as possible. Obviously I won't be able to get her up to good weight before she kids, and I don't want to give her lots of meds or overdo it on protein. Right now she's getting free choice both grass hay and alfalfa (she actually prefers the grass) and today I gave her some 12% all purpose with a handful of BOSS mixed in. I'm thinking the BOSS will be a good energy source for her. She nibbled at it and went back to the grass hay, we'll see if it's gone in the morning. Also gave her Selenium/E gel (don't have BoSe.) Mimzidoat dosed her with Safeguard. Other suggestions? Her eyelids are a good color and coat is actually decent. She has loose minerals available but doesn't seem interested in them.

She also needs a name! Mine all have flower names, I was thinking of Camellia.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Pretty girl:) I think besides the selenium and vit e gel you gave she just needs some groceries. You may want to try the brewery grain, like a 1/4 of a cup, sprinkle the minerals in that and mix with her regular grain, that way she gets some. I have to do that with my clan, I even put their feeders up higher, and they still won't eat it..., so that's what I do. I actually got some more brewery grain yesterday, and it was nice and fresh:)

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said I don't want to do high protein at this point - she's going to have a hard enough time with labor as it is. And she's not chowing down even on the regular grain.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that, I was thinking of getting some. They sell it for horses as Mare Magic. Might be able to find it in bulk at a natural food store too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would keep trying 1/4 cup grain, and gradually increase..and beet pulp. You can try it either dry, or soaking it. My girls like both, but LOVE hot, soaked beet pulp pellets. I usually boil about 6 cups of water, add 2 cups beet pulp, pull it off the burner and let it sit for a few hours. I keep it covered to hold in the heat.

I bought a first freshener last June (registered LaMancha/Alpine), who was skin and bones with 2 kids on her. She has outstanding genetics, so I bought her anyway and left her tiny 7 week old kids behind. She had only been fed a handful of alfalfa pellets, and pasture. Her previous owner did not believe in feeding grain, nor anything else...long story short, I incorporated 16% grain, BOSS, alfalfa pellets, Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals, and beet pulp on the stand, twice a day. And free choice alfalfa hay. I also gave her hot beet pulp around noon. She has begun really filling out and is packing on the pounds, finally! AND she is still milking over a gallon a day. So there is my advertisement for beet pulp and it's miraculous weight gain potential. ;) (I still am waiting to breed her until next fall, due to how malnourished she was.)

If I was you, I would also give your girl a dose or two of Probios, and Vitamin B Complex. Maybe Vitamin C, and keep electrolytes on hand for the birth. Repeat all as needed.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used beet pulp with horses and never seen it have a big effect on weight. It's pretty much just straight fiber. Plus I don't live on site, so soaking it would be a hassle. I do have B complex and Probios, can give both today. She has plenty of appetite for hay so maybe she's just picky.

·
14,730 Posts
Awww what a pretty girl! Bless you, and mimzidoat for taking this beautiful girl and trying to give her a 2nd chance at life!!
I can give no advice, but I think as long as she is holding up, and eating, and starting to look better & wormed enough to get her through kidding, then maybe she'll be just fine.

I might be wrong, don't know the goat, and the fact she's skinny and has a smallish udder, I'm thinking she still has time. But again, not seeing her in person, and the fact she's so thin... some I know fill at the very last minute. But I'm still thinking you've got a little time with her. I hope so anyway ;)

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure she's a FF so I don't expect her udder will get huge. I'm going out of town for Christmas, so I hope she has them before then!

·
Registered
871 Posts
She's a cutie! I think you're doing great with her. I'm sure the BOSS will really help over time. What about a little bit of sweet feed a day to give her some extra oomph? I find that all my girls like that. And yes, raspberry leaves would be excellent! My favorite source for them besides my own back yard is www.mountianroseherbs.com

I'd love to see more pictures of her as she fills out and especially after she kids. It blesses my heart to see successful rescues. Way to go!

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the all purpose I buy better than sweet feed; hopefully she'll eat it top dressed with molasses.

Wish I'd known about raspberry leaves sooner! My landlord has a huge row, but they went to the compost pile a long time ago.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Don't know if you are already planning on this... But would it be possible to bottle feed the kids? I would be afraid it would be hard to get weight on her while lactating. I know you said you don't live on site with the goats, but could you have the kids at your house?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, not an option. She already has a nice udder so I'm hoping she can manage it, assuming it's just the one. If she really has a hard time I have a friend who might be able to take the babies, but that's a last resort.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts