The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my doe back today and it looks like i got more than just her. :) I've had her since she was a kid and she's had 3 sets of kids already and she is about 5 years old. She had kids on January 6th and i weaned them off in about mid April, i keep the kids and send her to my grandpas until they are sold (unless i decide to keep them) which isnt until they are about a year old. Then around the time i sell them she has kids there and a week later i take them home and do it all over again. I've done that for a few years with 2-4 different nannies just for fun but this year i wanted to get my own herd.

I got some new does that had all kidded before and a buckling and was hoping for kids about this time next year but when i went to pick her up today after i got all the other goats situated ...i noticed she looks pregnant! My grandpa told me one of his bucks got into their field on accident a few months ago but he didnt write the date down so i have no idea how far along she is if she is due. She's been on just pasture but im wanting to start giving her a little feed with it.

I've never had a pregnant doe and im so excited/worried! Lol. :) She looks it to me but i thought I'd ask you guys opinion. How far do you think she is if she is pregnant? She dosent really have much of a bag yet and i didnt get very good pics of that end. Sorry for the long post but im really excited and i tend to babble... :D and i may or may not have felt them kick a while ago im not really sure. Im just know im not going to be able to sleep tonight, haha. I think if she is pregnant she still has a while to go. Any tips or feed suggestions? Thanks! :)

image-337459081.jpg

image-443023616.jpg

image-3531163876.jpg

image-2482116614.jpg

image-2818829946.jpg

Attachments

·
14,615 Posts
She very well could be, can you post a few more of her right side?
We dont start grain till a week or so before they're due, dont want fat mama or kids too large.;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i won't spoil her with grain then ;). Ill get some more right side pics soon. Since she had kids already this year i dont know if a pic of her bag would really help but ill get some of them too. Im keeping her separate from the bully does and i put her in with 2 of her previous doe kids from this year and last year for company and they get along well. She will let me scratch down her back and her neck and face but dosent let me touch her belly which was kinda weird so i thought that might be another sign.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've started to think of something else... We have had worms bad this year and our field looks horrible compared to last year. Would alfalfa pellets or regular goat feed (not grain probably dumor) be ok to keep her in shape? The goat field is fine for the other big boer bullies, but for the 3 smaller does (including her) in the separate field would be the ones getting feed. Would that cause problems with her having large kids? She's not quite big as the boer does definitely isn't as wide as them, and the dad is her size or smaller than her. I just know i dont want to risk her getting worms when she has kids thats stealing nutrients from her. She's not sick, her eyes are nice and bright but im wanting to prevent what i can. Suggestions?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok ill start giving her a little alfalfa pellets, if i put the 3 in the barn with regular horse hay at all times and give them a breakfast of alfalfa pellets then keep then locked up until around 12 then let them in the field for the rest of the day would that be an alright diet so she will eat less grass? Can goats stay healthy off a diet like that? Thank you for the answers, i just want to do everything right, and im clueless. :)

·
14,615 Posts
Browsing on grass isnt going to contribute to weight gain. Its the high concentrated grains we give them in large amounts.;)
As for worming; my law around here is if at no other time, does get wormed the day they kid & again 10 days later.
Any time you have a stressed goat it brings on the parasites which have been relatively dormant.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you worm with? For my other ones ive been using valbazen but i can't use that on her just incase she is pregnant. Is valbazen ok to give her after she kids?

Another thing i was wondering about is red cell, ive been giving it to some of the others 1cc per 25 lb once a week to get there eyes nice and pink again. Is that ok to give it to her, her eyes aren't as red as the others but they are still pink. Just wondering.

Thanks again for the replies. :) She walks on her back legs funny, she's not even close to being as fat as she usually is when she's prego and im thinking she's only around 2 months in, but she waddles everywhere haha.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've been walking her over to visit the boers through the fence and they don't exactly like each other :( . One field is on one side of our yard and one is on the other and our yard is about big as 1 of the fields, we don't have close neighbors either. So i let the boers out into the yard and let the young does that was in with her out and put her on a leash and met the boers one at a time and broke up any fights they tried to start. Finally they all dispersed out in the yard so i let her off the leash and she was fine but as soon as she saw one that was too close she would run at them and head butt them. Even though she's the smallest they most of the time ran off from her and only a few times would they try to fight back. Finally after following her around and breaking up her fights for 20 min i put her back up with the other 2. If there wasent a chance of her being prego then i would have let them fight it out and it would be over with but i dont want them to knock her in the tummy and hurt her or stress her out.

So looks like she will have to stay away from them for a few more months, or ill keep walking her to meet them through the fence until they get used to each other.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are finally making progress! Last night once the mama and the other 2 were settled in the barn ready for bed i let the boers in to sleep in there with them and they hung out together all day today just fine. :) now they are staying in the same field. Im happy they all get along now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I've decided she is defiantly pregnant! :D I cant wait! Shes has been in just pasture and is getting along with everyone and is getting huge. still no bag though so it will be a while. :) The buck was solid red and his other kids looked pretty good. Since this is going to be the last time the does get bred with the mixed breed lines, im hoping she will have does so i can keep them to breed with my new buck since they will be from a different line than him. And it's a stretch but i would love a solid red doe that would be great lol. But knowing my luck she will probably have bucks or something haha and she is known for throwing paints ...so yeah, but ill still just be happy with a healthy kid. They are all so darn cute. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't posted on this thread for a while but I thought I'd put up new discoveries i guess you could call it haha.... A few days ago i was reading random threads and one was talking about their area being swollen and hers is kinda swollen (forgot what that means?) and i have no idea about ligs but i can tell a difference hers is more squishy than the other girls.

Im thinking her bag is getting bigger and ive decided to start taking pics every other week or so, so i can tell the differences. Im still not sure how far along she is still so im still kinda nervous lol. And she really dosent like me messing with her belly but when she does let me touch it i can't ever feel them or feel them move? I've never tried to feel them before now, are they just not old enough yet or only move at certain times?

Thank you for all of yall experienced goat producers :p :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts