The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a newbie to goats and would love some input. I got my pygmy about a month and a half ago and was told she was open but this person only had her 3 weeks. She came from a bad situation, the other doe I got was severely underweight and almost dead. So... The picture on the right was when I got her and the other two are from yesterday, pregnant or just eating really well? I think she is starting to bag up but I could just be going crazy. Thank you!

ForumRunner_20130807_205631.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well, you already know the gestation period is 5 months - give or take a few days. Just check on her see what's going on with her udder. Since she appears to be showing udder development, that should be a fairly good indication of when she is getting close. Another pretty reliable sign is to watch her vulva - when she is getting close, it will be very loose and floppy. I don't mean to be patronizing or anything, just trying to help you out. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I second that! Big belly and a growing udder-- definitely sounds like babies are brewing ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey. I'm new to goats as well. I show boer goats in FFA and my doe from last season just got home from the breeders on the 7th. They said she didn't show any signs of not taking. They said she most defiantly took. But I noticed today a white mucus discharge from her vagina. Does this mean she wasn't bred and just wet back into heat? Or is it something I don't know about? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Did they give you a idea on when she was or might have been bred??? Usually a few months before they kid they start to loose their plug, its like this thick mucus, kinda reminds me of like tooth past just a little more thiner, if that makes sense lol. It could also be a heat, but I have not seen a heat that has that thick stuff. Hope that helps ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
They have had her for a month and they told me the 9th so she would have been about a month pregnant. She's not far along. And she will be a first time mother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts