The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my goat in July and the seller said she was bred. If so it could be any time between now and mid december. She's 3 yrs old and has had previous pregnancies. No idea when she's due but no later than December. She hasn't had a huge belly, rather on the small side. Three weeks ago she became friendly and actually licked my arm. she had been very aloof before then. Two weeks ago her belly seemed to have dropped. She looked really skinny on her right side and her backbone looked prominent. This week she's eating like crazy and both sides are pooching out. She's had some small amounts of clear discharge. A week ago she had more than usual. Now she has very little discharge. I've never felt any babies and her udders are unchanged (no milk). Could she possibly not be pregnant? Or is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
The discharge looks like she's getting ready to kid. So does the belly seeming to drop and the backbone becoming more prominent. I had a first time doeling that never did get a noticeable udder (and she was nubian!) But, I'm also notorious for being horrible at judging kidding times. I waited 3 months one time (a doe that ran with the buck year round). LOL Definitely keep an eye on her. If the discharge gets nasty looking or starts smelling bad get her to the vet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No bad smells and the discharge has stopped at the moment. It comes and goes. But it hasn't been that thick since that one day. And I've never seen her have that kind of discharge before. And I would've noticed since I've been staring at her hooha for the past 3 months! LOL!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And thank you for replying. I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to. I feel like I've been waiting forever to see a sign. And I got tired of wondering and thought I'd try this forum.

·
sydmurph
199 Posts
So would the discharge alone be enough to suspect pregnancy? I've always wondered about that. Because I'll be asking the same question in a few months too!! Haha!
I'm not experienced enough to tell by tailbone/ligament/etc. I am handling her udder daily to get her used to that; so that might be my way of being sure. but if she turns out to be a late bagger then I need a back up sign.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone told me the discharge was a sign of heat. But I've looked at her pooch every day at least twice a day for 3 months and this is the first I've seen the discharge. So I don't really know. This is my first goat.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
IMO If she's alteast 3 mos preggers you should be able to feel a baby on her right side. Alteast with mine I can feel them starting around that time but sometimes it takes a few feels through out the day to find them depending on their position.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've felt something only one time but I wasn't able to tell if it was baby or stomach. And I've not felt anything since. But I don't feel for it until she's eating grain because she doesn't like me touching the bottom of her belly.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
The discharge can be a sign of heat, but it looks like she is pregnant to me.

She doesn't seem to be as large as she should be, but then again I raise boer goats. :) It could also mean she isn't as far along into her pregnancy yet (like Erica stated).

I have had a doe that discharged the same as yours 2 weeks before kidding. Then again I have had one who's first discharge was when she was kidding! It all depends on the doe.

How much grain is she getting?

Patrick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can y'all tell if a goat is pregnant? Is it pooch, discharge, belly sizable, udder development? Or all these put together. All I know for sure is she looks and acts different than she has since I got her.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She doesn't look pregnant to me. Her pooch points up. When my does are in heat, they look like they are pregnant. Looking at the picture from 2 weeks ago, I would say not pregnant. It's possible, though. I don;t always get these right! You could send a blood test into BioTracking. It's $6.50 + shipping.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No way am I drawing blood! It creeps me out just thinking of it. I'd do it wrong and she'd bleed to death. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
All of my goats carry their babies up high close to their back until they are getting ready to kid. That's when their belly drops and the does sides begin to hollow out giving that sunk in look. Everything you mentioned are all signs to look for to know if your goat is pregnant. But not all does are the same :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
No way am I drawing blood! It creeps me out just thinking of it. I'd do it wrong and she'd bleed to death. Yikes!
You could have the vet do it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts