The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to goats and a few months ago I was given 3 Oberhasli goats. One doe whom is about 2 years of age, a kid whom is about 4 months, and a buck whom is around 1 1/2 years.
My doe (Annie) has gotten rounder, not fat ( I dont think ) and not bloated. My neighbor even said she noticed a difference and asked if she is pregnant. I know for a fact that my buck (Jackson) is in rut, he gets ornery and he has that strong smell. Annie has been acting a little off lately too. She never used to rub her horns against me, but now she does, like shes mad shes not getting attention all the time, and normally she is independent. She is rounder than when I got her and I dont think it is her grazing belly she gets. Any advice please on how to tell she is pregnant? I know blood tests are available.

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
You can post a pic here of your girl. We need her backend, tail up, showing her girlie parts. Some people can tell well by seeing a "pooch" pic. Does she have any udder developement? How many months has the buck been in with her? Also know that he can and will breed your 4 month old girl (not a good idea!) so I would have him separate from the girls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post a picture later today. The kid is a male that is not intact. So no worries there. But they have been together since I have gotten them. If she is pregnant, I do not know how far along she would be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She wasn't as big as I've seen her the last couple days. I was not able to get a picture of her vulva because she was eating and her tail was going nuts

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
Is she a first freshener? Her udder development tells me that she is pregnant. do you know the last time she was in with a buck. She doesn't look that big (although they can fool us). I would say she has some time to go.

·
Fair-Haven
4,728 Posts
The first time she has ever had kids. They tend not to show as much as girls who have had kids before. Unfortunately if you are running the buck with the doe and you didn't keep track of heats, there is really no way to know a due date.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Annie has been acting a little off lately too. She never used to rub her horns against me, but now she does, like shes mad shes not getting attention all the time, and normally she is independent.
My girls do this when they're in heat. :) The get SUPER clingy+needy during heat and rub against me (rather hard) and yell at me for extra attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first time she has ever had kids. They tend not to show as much as girls who have had kids before. Unfortunately if you are running the buck with the doe and you didn't keep track of heats, there is really no way to know a due date.
She has had twins before but only one made it and it is the 4 month old I have now.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
May I ask if that udder is the same as when you got her? Or if it has changed since you got her?

To me that udder says pregnant for a couple more months from now. But if she came with that same udder development, then that is obviously wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
May I ask if that udder is the same as when you got her? Or if it has changed since you got her?

To me that udder says pregnant for a couple more months from now. But if she came with that same udder development, then that is obviously wrong.
Her udder wasnt as full. If I watch it and it gets bigger will that be a sign?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Her udder wasnt as full. If I watch it and it gets bigger will that be a sign?
It is a strong indication, but not a confirmation, especially since you don't know this doe, how her body reacts to pregnancy hormones, etc. False pregnancies do occur, and infections can also cause udders to swell (really rarely!)

But to my eye, that udder looks like a couple months to go... on a doe who has kidded before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts