The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old doeling that only weighs like 30lbs. She got in with our buck. Who just happens to be her brother. We dont know when she is due because she hot in multiple times. At first we didnt thinks that she was pregnant but she has been growing wider. Is there anything i can do? What are her chances of surviving this? It has been snowing and getting colder. The other does wont let her sleep with them so we had to make her a temporary pen and her only penmates are 4 cochin roosters. We got her and her brother when they were two months old and were already weaned. Her brother rebounded quickly but he ate most of the food when they were kids and now the does are doing the same. She is getting hay and food free choice now since the does cant fit in her pen. Sorry about rambling on i just dont want anything to happen to her.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I cant offer much advice as Ive never bred goats. But one thing you can do for her because it's cold and she is alone is get her a dog coat or sweater.
Also what breed is she?
I'm sure that would help people give you advice about her aswell.
I hope she does okay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One day I was looking outside and what did I see ... A very young doeling being mounted by her father.
I got her away from him and kept her locked up until she was out of heat. This was in July and none of my stock ever bred that early. Everyone was in together to eat the belly deep grass.

I thought I had gotten to her on time but I had not. When she was three months along ... at 6 months old I started feeding her alone every single night and keeping her warm inside a good stall. By keeping her body temp regulated and keeping her protein levels up for her and the little kid the vet told me she should be fine.

She kidded with NO problems and the she raised the kid with no problems. BUT, I do not allow my bucks to roam any time of the year with my does.

Bucks are bucks ... all they can understand is food and breeding. Does not matter whether it is their daughters or not. A doe in heat is a doe in heat.

I was new to goats when this happened with that little doe. I hope I have learned A LOT since this happened in the 70's. Just do the best you can for her and watch her closely as kidding time gets near.

Some will tell you to give her a shot to get rid of the kid. I have never done this cause I had a very close personal friend that I showed with for many, many years. One year her star show doe, beautiful Nubian, got bred too early. She wanted a nice full udder at show times in the PNW so she gave her doe the shot.
That doe never bred again. Although the vet, in fact two of them, stated that hardly never happens ... it did happen with my friends best show doe.

Another friend gave the shots to make them come in and her does were messed up for years on their cycles. Too me, personally, it is better to let nature take it's course.

But, each person must make that choice for themselves and their stock.

Good luck with that youngster.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
She'll probably be ok for birthing as long as you keep her very healthy through the pregnancy - vitamins, minerals, etc. I'd be careful about protein levels, only give as much as she needs to maintain good condition.

The baby should probably be meat - or a pet if it's a wether - so it can't breed. Personally I won't keep a buck that's related to any of my does, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
at 30# I would be very concerned..from your avatar, I assume we are talking boer...which easily means a 7-9 # kid or better... Might be best to seek a vet and get her looked at and between you and the vet decide what needs to happen..personally, I would void the pregnacy if its early on...if she is late in her gestation, then a vet being involved is her best chance..

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
30 lbs is not a safe weight and age for this little girl to deliver kids.

When was she bred?
You could get ahold of a knowledgeable goat vet and get lute to abort her.
I am very concerned for her if she is boer, she may have major problems trying to kid. :(

I would get a fecal for cocci and worms, both can stunt growth, she is too small for 7 months.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is a boer and my avatar is the buck that bred her. We werent planning on using her to breed i was just keeping her as a pet. The first time i caught her in there was about 4 months ago the most recent 1 month. We werent that concerned at the time because this was going to be our bucks first year and we didnt think her or the buck were ready. We have a thin coat for her and are trying to keep her warm. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping if she could handle the labor she could keep the kid. She would make a good mother if she could take it.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
If she is only 1 month preggo it is safe to give Lute.

She is way too small and young to be preggo.

I remember someone on TGS saying, there was a 3 month old boer Doeling, that was confirmed preggo, which was a shock.

I always wean bucklings at 2.5 to 3 months old. I know for sure a buck can breed mature Does at 4 months young, when I started out in goats, it was our young kid that did the deed to 24 Does and all had babies 5 months later. JMO

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Lute her.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wish i knew how far along she is. The dates i gave you are when she was in his pen. i had only seen him mount her once and that was 3 months ago. She had been in and out of there after that. She is getting pretty large. I will see if i can get pics by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How did you determine her weight? if she is that little you could pick her up and weight her and you on a human scale then just you and subtract. How tall is she? My 8 month Alpine/Boer is pushing 100lbs so I would think a full boer would weight more...

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
you can send in blood for a pregnancy test..its only $5...any vet should be able to pull blood if you cant do it..its not hard...just scary the first time : ) Also, try to get a close weight on her....
I wouls also have a fecal done..see how her worm numbers are..

·
Banned
984 Posts
I agree with everyone else. If she wasn't so small it wouldn't be as big a deal, but she is very tiny an a 5 month gestation along with labor will be very hard on her. A vet would need to be on stand by when she goes to deliver cause most likely she will need a C-section, Boers usually have large babies ranging anywhere from 7 to 10lds. I wish you both the best on whatever decision you make.

·
Super Moderator
59,901 Posts
I guess at this point all you can do is pray she makes it through a birthing. I would say to have a vet on speed dial because she may need a C section. The other option is to see if any other goat breeders can help you out with the Lute. If she is really that underweight and stunted, this is probably not going to end well. There is always a chance but good to be prepared for the worst. If she does actually make it through the kidding, I would expect her not to be able to nurse her kid/kids so you need to be prepared with colostrum and to bottle feed. There is no way with her size that she could handle even nursing one kid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.