The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe is about 4 months pregnant she is a ND cross and I have noticed her eating the bark off our cedar tree and she is always trying to get into the chicken coop and eat there pellet, I'm new to goats so I was wondering if that meant she is lacking something in her diet she should be getting? She gets alfalfa and alfalfa Timothy mix, pasture and some BYB grain sometimes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bark is a normal part of a goats diet nothing wrong with her eating it.
Most goats will try and steal chicken feed but it's not good for them so try not to let her get it.
You could get her a loose mineral if you're worried she might need something else. I dont think her behavior has anything to do with it though she sounds like a normal goat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Goats love to nibble on things, but in my experience eating some strange things can be a sign of a mineral deficiency. One of my does used to eat red clay dirt every time I let her out. I started them on MannaPro minerals a few months ago and she doesn't do that anymore. A good balance mineral may be what she needs.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know if a goat that doesn't live for chicken food exists. Unfortunately, it is not very good for them and should be kept where the goats can get into it. I have also heard that some goats love eating bark, even though mine don't personally. As long as she has free-choice minerals and copper and selenium when needed, she should be just fine. :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
When Peggy Sue was pregnant she tried to steal meat off the table even though she normally won't eat anything that had even been near meat! That was late in the pregnancy and we think she developed a taste for meat prior to eating the afterbirth. :eww:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with avynatfarm my soon to kid doe was eating raw on th plant cotton bowls and paper and all kinds things....I had to take all. the ribbon off of my electric fence and haven't been able to hang lights or wreaths or decor on my fencing for Christmas is year because of domino! Lol I put some mineral out and she since then stopped eating the weird stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts